12-02-2019 07:58 AM
(I'm not sure if my Win 10 is 32 or 64 bit.)
I have an HP Envy 4520. Somehow, it was changed to HPDED215 (HP ENVY 4520 series) (copy 1) in settings. I've deleted the HPDED 215 from settings and searched for the HP 4520. It found the 215. I deleted it and tried "Easy Start" from hp.com. It found HP215. I deleted the printer from settings again and tried downloading the full software for the printer. Still HP215.
The HP215 won't print. At all. I get an error message that there's an error with MS Word, "Word cannot print due to the current printer set up". Excel says that there's an error with the driver.
The printer works normally for a Win 7 laptop.
I'm not sure when Win 10 last updated as I have the updates set to automatically happen.
Help, please!!! 🙂
Solved! Go to Solution.
12-04-2019 02:02 PM
@Jane365, Welcome to the HP Support Community!
Let us try these steps to resolve this issue:
Check the connectivity between the printer and the PC
- Make sure the printer and the PC are connected to the same wireless network.
- This printer supports only 2.4GHz network. The PC should be on the 2.4GHz network.
- If you have a Dual-band router and both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks share the same name/SSID, the printer will not be able to connect to the network. In this case, contact your Internet service provider to assign different names to both the networks.
- You may check the wireless details on the printer screen by tapping on the wireless icon.
Run HP Print and Scan Doctor to diagnose and fix any driver issue
Click here to download the file. Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and click on 'Fix printing'.
If the issue persists, proceed to the next step.
Restart the network devices
- Turn off the Router, Printer, and the computer/ mobile devices.
- Wait for 60 seconds.
- Turn on the Router first and wait for all the lights to stabilize.
- Turn on the printer and allow it to configure itself.
- Turn on the computer/ mobile devices.
Let me know how this goes.
If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
I am an HP Employee
12-05-2019 12:36 PM
First, thank you kindly for your reply!!
Second, I still can't print after taking each of the steps you gave below. Even after resetting my router, the printer is still seen as an HP215, not the HP 4520 that it is.
I made sure that all of the Win 10 updates were up to date. They are. And I rebooted to make sure (powered down, left it off for a moment, and brought it back up).
I have the printer installation CD. I tried that. It said it couldn't find the drivers.
The printer worked just fine until it didn't. We can print from a Win 7 laptop without issue.
12-06-2019 11:56 AM
HPDED215 could be the network hardware ID of the printer. If you select this option while installing the printer, are you able to print?
Restore the wireless settings on the printer
On the printer, go to Setup > Tools > Restore Factory Defaults.
Now, try setting up the printer on the network again.
Go to Setup > Network > Wireless > Wireless setup wizard.
Keep me posted.
I am an HP Employee
12-06-2019 05:49 PM
It worked!!! It WORKED!!!
Here's what I did:
On the printer:
1. I followed your direction to restore factory settings.
2. I configured it on my wi-fi per your instructions.
On my laptop:
1. In Settings/devices/printers, I deleted the HP215 nonsense.
2. I clicked "add a printer or scanner" and it found it my HP 4520.
I've verified that both the laptop and my phone offer the HP 4520 as a destination and that each device is able to print.
Gosh I thank you!!!!While no one will perish from a laptop that won't print, the work around isn't fun and, after trying just about everything under the sun, I thought the work around would become the new norm.