Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy 4523 All-in-one Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have had a persisting issue with my printer over the last few days. No matter what I try, I keep getting the error ' The document could not be printed. An error occurred while printing the document'. The printer is connected to the same Wifi network as the PC (Dell XPS 15 running on Windows 10 version 1903), and there is no connection problem. I have also found the print feature on Windows keeps resetting the paper size to letter (this is the first time I have ever had this issue). The last time I was able to print from the Envy was last Sunday. I can't figure out if this is a Windows or HP issue.

This is what I have tried:

• Switching the printer off, unplugging socket, then replugging and turning back on
  • Restarting my PC
  • Uninstalling printer and drivers from PC, then reinstalling via HP Smart. I also tried manually installing drivers from the HP website. Tried this 7 times now.
  • Using Windows troubleshooter for printers and scanners
  • Using HP Print and Scan Doctor - cannot print test page unless its an internal test page, and all it suggests is try uninstalling and reinstalling software

Please let me know if you need any more information. Thanks in advance for your help.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Do you have the same problem printing to a USB port on the printer?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
HP Recommended

Hi 8lives,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have the same problem when connecting the laptop via USB. I have also tried a different PC (HP laptop) and the same error appears when printing via Wifi.

HP Recommended

Is the warranty still valid?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

No, the warranty has ended

HP Recommended

Looks like you will need to replace it.

HP Recommended

I've spent most of the day looking into this issue, and got in touch with Microsoft.

The printer has been working for Android and Apple. It is now also working with the HP Omen 15 laptop. The only PC that can't print is my one (Dell XPS 15). Microsoft spent hours trying to figure out how to resolve the issue and didn't succeed. They recommended I get in touch with HP and maybe Dell. I suspect the issue is related to Dell software. I've installed any Dell updates and the issue persists. 

HP Recommended

You can contact HP support & see if they have anything in there database. (fee charged)

I have not seen any problems with HP WiFi printers on 1903 & Dell laptops. (contact Dell for know problems with 1903)

Most interesting that even printing to a USB port does not work.

Good luck.

HP Recommended

The latest Windows update has fixed the issue. Thanks for your help 8lives

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.