Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4525
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

For over a week have been struggling with the same issues as mentioned in https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/HP-Instant-Ink/Envy-4520-not-printing-color-wirelessly/td-p/7255076. I have installed latest firmware on the printer, the default driver used from windows (as the driver from HP seized to work for now apparent reasons), and yesterday finally after executing the steps mentioned, I got my color options back in my Printing Preferences in Windows. The only problem is it's now printing only Gray scale/Black and White. Also if I print pages from the printer itself !!, I have the same issue on 3 machines, and even a neighbor having the same device has the same problem.

Would appreciate some guidance as I tried a variety of things (even completely rebuild OS and Driver) and all not successful.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Addition : New Original HP Toners, and both almost up to a 100% full.

HP Recommended

Dear HP,

I've executed the "driver" update at my neighbor PC WITHOUT  updating the firmware at that works.

Fyi : I've buildup his laptop from scratch, so including the build I've done on my laptop i have to similar build PC's with the same drivers.

The only difference is that the firmware on my printer is updated and from today is not working.

So is there an option to downgrade the firmware so I can test if that solves my problem ?

I excluded everything else, and because my printer itself is also printing gray scale, my logic tells me the firmware is causing the issue.

Thanks,

Chris

HP Recommended

Hi @chris9869

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you. if the test pages from the printer do not have color, it may not be a software/driver issue.

We cannot downgrade the firmware on the printer. Let us try these steps to isolate the issue:

Try making a standalone copy in color and check if that works. By this, we can conclude if this is a hardware or a driver issue.

Clean the ink cartridges

1. On the printer control panel, swipe the display to the left, then touch Setup.

2. Touch Tools, then touch Clean Cartridges.

• If the print quality is unacceptable, click Yes when prompted to perform the next level of cleaning.

note:

If the printhead is badly clogged, it might require another cleaning cycle. If so, wait 30 minutes before you perform both levels of cleaning again.

Print a Print Quality Diagnostic report

1. On the printer control panel, swipe the display to the left, and then touch Setup.

2. Touch Tools.

3. Swipe up on the display, and then touch Print Quality Report. Examine the color blocks for defects.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Goodafternoon,

Thank you for your response. The results are :
1. Color Copy : All Gray Scale

2. After 1st Cartridge Clean : All Gray Scale

3. After 2nd Cartridge Clean : All Gray Scale

Reports are all Gray Scale.

It supports my previous remark having sudden Gray Scale issues on 2 different devices with the same printer type where on 1 system I've updated the Firmware, and on the other I did not. The one now still having issues had the Firmware upgrade.

Thanks for your support so far,

Best regards,

Chris

HP Recommended

@chris9869

Thank you for the response. I'm afraid this is a hardware issue. Please contact our HP Support team for Service Options:

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Select the appropriate option based on your preference.

6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the support.

I've instructed my neighbor not to install the Firmware upgrade as I still believe this being the cause of these problems.

Sequence of events :

Thursday : Can print fine. Everything works.

Weekend : Only Gray Scale (On 2 HP Envy 4525 printers) simultaneously in 2 different environments.

Installed new Firmware on 1 Printer, Not on the other.

Updated drivers on the laptop as described in my initial pasted link.

The printer with new Firmware fails. The other one works.

That for a 14 month old printer not used to heavily and in a clean environment.

Luckily my supplier where I bought it give 2 years warranty, so I trust they will solve the problem.

Just a recap of events for the audience.

Thanks again,

Best regards,

Chris

HP Recommended

@chris9869

I understand. However, as this is a hardware issue and the firmware on a printer cannot be downgraded, the HP Support team will be able to assist you better.

keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.