Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

My HP Envy 5020 will not print.  it was last working OK last week but has stopped producing printed output.  The paper comes out but there is no ink on it.   The wifi connection appears OK and the printer appears to accept commands from both wifi/laptop, and also' print alignment page', and it  goes through the mechanical process, but no ink appears on the paper.  

I have tried checking and changing ink cartridges, tried factory reset, wifi code reset, software is uptodate,, but with no success. Can anyone help

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@philb6591

Welcome to HP support community.

Which operating system is installed on the computer to which this printer is connected?

Are you getting any error message?

Reply with the requested information for more assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

OS X version 10.11.6   no error message,   The commend appears to be received by the printer, the cartridges go through the printing motion, the paper comes out, but with nothing on it.

If were are compatibility problem with my Macbook, why does the printer fail to print the alignment page.

HP Recommended

@philb6591

This seems like an issue with the ink cartridges or the printer. Let us try these steps to resolve this issue:

Try making a standalone copy and check if that works. By this, we can conclude if this is a hardware or a driver issue.

Reset the printer

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  2. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  3. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  4. Turn ON the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  5. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Note: HP recommends connecting the printer directly to a wall outlet rather than a surge protector or a power strip.

Update the printer firmware

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Check the estimated ink levels

On the printer control panel, touch the Ink icon  to display the current estimated ink levels. Replace any low or empty ink cartridges.

Clean the ink cartridges

1. On the printer control panel, swipe left on the display, and then touch Setup .

2. Touch Tools, and then touch Clean Cartridges.

Manually clean the area around the ink nozzles

Refer to step 13 mentioned in this document.

Print a Print Quality Diagnostic report

1. On the printer control panel, swipe left on the display, and then touch Setup .

2. Touch Tools.

3. Swipe up on the display, and then touch Print Quality Report.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry for the delay.   I have tried all these options several times.   Still no ink on paper.  Not even a fleck.

If I can't fix it ASAP  I will have to buy a new one - and it will not be HP!!!

HP Recommended

@philb6591

This seems to be a hardware issue.

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.