Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5540 Deskjet Printer
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I just replaced an empty black ink cartridge with a new full one in my HP Envy 5540 printer, but for the first time in all the years I've enjoyed using it, today it shows a little yellow triangle at the top of the ink level bar on my laptop. On the printer at first it shows a full drop, but when I press on it the ink volume bars appear, and in the top of the black ink bar it also has a small triangle with an exclamation mark in it. 

When I take out and insert the cartridge again the printer prints the document that was waiting for printing, and it looks like I might have to do this every time with this cartridge. I guess that is because it's not an original HP cartridge. But I've never had this before.

It's no bggie, but if it could be solved that would be nice. (Of course using an original HP cartridge might not have caused this issue.) ; )

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@LodeHere

Welcome to HP Support Community

Please remove the cartridges and clean the electrical contacts with a lint free cloth

Next perform a printer reset

(1) Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.
(2) Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
(3) With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
(4) Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
(5) Wait at least 60 seconds.
(6) Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
 NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.
(7) Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
(8) Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.
Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed

Then update the Firmware from this Link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers and put back the cartridges

You can also refer to this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/product/hp-envy-5540-all-in-one-printer-series/5447939/document/c047065...

Keep me posted how it goes and have a great day ðŸ˜Š

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@LodeHere

Welcome to HP Support Community

Please remove the cartridges and clean the electrical contacts with a lint free cloth

Next perform a printer reset

(1) Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.
(2) Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
(3) With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
(4) Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
(5) Wait at least 60 seconds.
(6) Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
 NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.
(7) Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
(8) Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.
Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed

Then update the Firmware from this Link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers and put back the cartridges

You can also refer to this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/product/hp-envy-5540-all-in-one-printer-series/5447939/document/c047065...

Keep me posted how it goes and have a great day ðŸ˜Š

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for that excellent tutorial. 

Yesterday I recieved a crtridge with colored ink and added that one next to the one with black ink. A message apeared saying it was an original but refilled HP cartridge. (Which it was, and contains more ink that the original had.)

I prinded the text I already had in black ink also in color, and it worked perfectly.  Then this morning I woke up with the idea to write just a sentence and try to print that with black ink. Maybe now that would also work. And to my happy surprise it did. So problem solved. And since your tutorial is so good to have that I will copy it and save it in a document for just in case I would need it in the future, I also tap your response as "Accept as Solution."

HP Recommended

@LodeHere

I'm glad you got this issue resolved

Do visit our HP Support Community and drop us a message anytime you need help

Thank you ðŸ˜Š

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.