Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5540
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi.

I can only raise the ink access door about 1 cm -then the lcd wakes up and tells me that "The cover or door needs to be closed to print"

Help - I need to change the ink as my lad can't print his homework.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Hi. No-one else had logged anything relating to the problem.

Ev eventually I levered it in frustration. It now opens. Whether it was sticky arms on the lid or some rough plastic it seems ok now.

Thanks

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Phil--T

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. 

As I understand the ink cartridge access door is not opening,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Have you followed any HP Articles on how to change the cartridges?

Did you check for any other HP Forum posts to help resolve your concern?

If you haven't, Here's a related HP Forums post that seems to have helped others: Click here for the steps.

Click here to view a YouTube video on how to change cartridges, alternatively, Click here for instructions.

Keep me posted for further assistance 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hi. No-one else had logged anything relating to the problem.

Ev eventually I levered it in frustration. It now opens. Whether it was sticky arms on the lid or some rough plastic it seems ok now.

Thanks
HP Recommended

Hi @Phil--T,

You are welcome.

I am happy to know that the issue has resolved.

I also appreciate your time and patience.

Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

It was a pleasure assisting you. You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

I have the same problem. I have tried everything apart from forcing it open. It will break if I did this. I may have to try and trace the payment and return it to the shop I bought it from which is going to be a pain as they no longer have this model and I have the online ink thing set up. Bloomin nuisance.

HP Recommended

Hi @Peaglenut,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query. I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you are facing issues with your HP ENVY 5540 All-in-One Printer wherein the cartridge access door does not open.

Let's go through a few steps that may help to fix this issue.

And here are a few steps in the link: Replacing the Ink Cartridges

If it still persists, please contact HP phone support from this link: http://hp.com/contacthp 
You may select the country and type the product# of the computer and then follow the on-screen instructions to contact HP phone support.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Hi Rainbow23

I'm not normally in the business of thanking myself for fixing my own problems - but if that's how it is......

Cheers

HP Recommended

I thought that too.

Actually the hinges get sticky because we hardly ever use them.

I gently increased the pressure until I felt the hinges start to 'give'.

Then it freed.

Now it opens freely, until the next time

🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.