Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

See post above from 26/3/2018 for how I resolved it for me.

Unfortunately, as noted, I was forced to DELETE the HP Update programme which seemed to cause the problem.

VERY POOR SUPPORT from HP, would not buy again

HP Recommended

Hi DockieRph,  the only thing I have been able to do so far is to copy the cd onto a usb key;  I have not yet had the opportunity to  install the old, original, driver from the usb key since I am currently no longer in the same location as the printer concerned, and the computer and printer have to be in the same location in order to "talk" to each other.  However, at the end of March I will be back in the same location as the printer and hope to be abe to install the old driver from the usb key. Maybe the printer will then work in colour.  ! 

HP Recommended

PS, maybe I should clarify that I copied the program from the cd onto a usb key using a computer that did have cd capability!

HP Recommended

I am struggling with the same issue.  I recently bought a new laptop and installed the drivers online as I have always done, only to find the colour and b/w printing options have vanished.  I've read the posts, but still don't understand how HP have allowed this to happen, and why they are not fixing this issue?

I no longer have the original setup disc - has anyone managed to remedy this issue without a disc?  Not printing in colour is such an inconvenience.  Genuinely baffled how HP are not sorting this out!!

HP Recommended

Same problem here. Having to transfer everything to my phone at print from there, until this is fixed, as I don't know where I put the disk or if I even bothered keeping it.

HP Recommended

I have managed to find a solution to this problem, but it involves reinstalling the software from the CD which comes with the printer.  Since my laptop does not have a disc drive, I copies the CD onto a USB key (using a desktop computer) and then - after uninstalling all the dowloads I had done from the HP website - reinstalled the original CD via USB key.  And it worked!

HP Recommended

I have managed to find a solution to this problem, but it involves reinstalling the software from the CD which comes with the printer.  Since my laptop does not have a disc drive, I copies the CD onto a USB key (using a desktop computer) and then - after uninstalling all the dowloads I had done from the HP website - reinstalled the original CD via USB key.  And it worked!

HP Recommended

All of this is very helpful, but I have just combed thru all my installation disk and can't find the one for my printer. Has anyone found out where/how to get a copy of it?

And has anyone heard if HP is plpanningon fixing the issue?

Wilfred F. Hatch
WilfredHatch@gmail.com
HP Recommended

Quick update...

After searching high & low I found my installation disk in the basement. I uninstalled the printer, the printer drivers, and all related software and used CCleaner to clean out the registry.  I rebooted the computer and installed the disk, making sure to choose the obscure link to "insatll from disk." All went well and the advanced properties box now includes the Print greyscale option and the color works great!

Still think HP needs to fix their driver...the versionon my disk is 36.0

Wilfred F. Hatch
WilfredHatch@gmail.com
HP Recommended

I have found the same problem with mine. My HP 5540 was only purchased in January 2018. It worked fine last year, but as I usually print from my mobile phone I’ve only just discovered the problem. However, I have no installation disc, everything was sent up remotely via the internet, that included the drivers. I uninstalled the printer and reinstalled and installed new drivers from HPs website, only to find it’s a drivers  issue (with a Windows 10 update)  after looking online for help. Where do I go from here? I have no greyscale or colour etc., options to choose from, it just prints black and white from my laptop. I need a colour printer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.