Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5540
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My printer will not allow me to print any documents or pdfs onto normal plain A4 paper. The error states "out of paper in photo tray". It shows this error even though I have everything set up for printing on normal paper. When I first got this printer it printed one document and then popped up with this message and I haven't been able to print anything since. Does anyone know how to fix this issue? I have attached a screenshot that shows the problem.

HP Smart 22_05_2020 10_21_19.png

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank You for contacting HP.

As I get you are unable to print on plain papers and each time it gives a message of Photo Tray Empty, this could be due to Incorrect Tray selection settings in the menu.

Please perform the steps below:-

Remove all the papers from the printer and place only the Plain Papers in the Main Tray, not the photo tray.

Go to Control Panel > Printers Window.

Right click on the icon and select Printing Preferences.

Go to the tab "Paper/Quality"

Look for "Source" > Select "Main Tray" in the Source.

Press "OK".

Then print and check.

If you need further assistance then please reply to this post.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

*Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left*
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.

I´m an HP employee
HP Recommended

Hi, I completed these steps but I am still having the same problem. I ran the HP print and scan doctor, this can't seem to print a test-print but will allow me to print an internal test page. I still can't print anything else either.I have all the settings set up to print on plain a4 paper and from the main tray, I'm using hp's ink, I've triple checked that word says it's sending to the right printer and the word settings are also plain a4 paper

HP Recommended

HI,

From the Image it looks like either the Color Cartridge is Out of Ink or the printer is not detecting it correctly.

Please try the steps below :-

1) While the unit is On, Access the Cartridge Area and take out the Tri Color cartridge safely, keep it on a piece of paper which you can discard later (discard the paper later). Keep the Cartridge side ways.

2) Observer if there is a protective tape on the cartridge that covers the golden copper contacts.

3) If the Protective tape is there then remove the tape carefully.

4) Also clean the golden copper contacts using lint free cloth and clear water. Leave it for drying for 2 minutes.

5) Place the Ink Cartridge back.

6) Check printing and copying in color.

7) If the issue remains then please perform the steps in the link below :- 

https://support.hp.com/in-en/product/hp-envy-5540-all-in-one-printer-series/5447939/document/c053654...

When you access the link, please ensure to select the 2 Cartridge section where it mentions "my cartridge is pictured as above" under the 2 cartridge section.

For further assistance please reply to the post.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

*Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left*
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.

I´m an HP employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.