Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5546
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This issue has been going on for quite a while now and despite following all of the guidance from this community in the forums where people have had similar issues (and further afield), I just cannot get the my HP Envy 5546 to print in colour.  It will however scan and print test pages in colour, cartridges have plenty of ink and I use Windows 10.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver, changing the settings in both the Control Panel and Settings i.e. uninstalling the printer and/or going into the printer settings.

And as of yesterday, the computer will not even now allow me to uninstall the program (comes up with an error message saying 'Call to DriverPackage Uninstall returned error 5 package and there's to an address in Windows) and when I go into the settings on something like Word, the tab for setting/unsetting greyscale isn't even present.

Any help would therefore be very appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Create a TCP IP port

1. Print a Configuration Page to get the printer's IPv4 address (you can also tap on the wireless icon on the front panel of your Printer to get the IP address)

2. On your PC, go to Control Panel, from Devices and Printers, right-click the printer and left-click Printer Properties, select the Ports tab.

3. Click Add Port, select Standard TCP/IP Port, then select New Port and follow the wizard.

4. Type in the proper IP address for the printer.

This video resource will show you how to do it:

Create & Use TCP IP port

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@SteveP22

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Restart your Computer and then try the steps below:

Let's try to do a root uninstall and reinstall of the software:

Unplug any USB cable, if any, before doing this.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between "printui.exe" and "/s")

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo

14.) Type c:/programdata and click Ok. Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

15.) Restart the computer. 

Once done, please download and install the software from here: 

HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads

If the issue persists, let's try a built-in driver: HP printer setup (Windows built-in driver)

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day! 

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response.  Unfortunately, after carefully going through the instructions, none of this has worked and at one stage I couldn't even get the software/driver to reinstall, no idea why.

In the end I used HP Print and Scan Doctor to try and work matters out.  It finally allowed me to install the software but now everytime I try to print, it just comes up with an error printing message and I have to delete the document in the 'See what's printing' box.  The Print and Scan program (having run it numerous times) is now also suggesting I uninstall and reinstall but after the last time, I don't know if it will even let me.

One thing I have tried is using my daughter's laptop and that all seems to be working okay, so it's just my desktop (an HP Pavilion 23) it's not liking.

Again, any further advice would be much appreciated as I've spent far too many hours on this trying to get it to work!!

HP Recommended

I would suggest you try the Windows built-in drivers. Follow the steps below:

•    Go to Control Panel - Devices and printers - Click on "Add printer" and follow the on-screen instructions.

•    When the page prompts for the drivers, select "Windows update". The driver list will be updated.

•    Click HP, Hewlett Packard, or Hewlett-Packard in the Manufacturer pane, and then click the name of your printer in the Printers pane.

Refer to this document HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver for help.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Again, thank you for your response.  Unfortunately this hasn't worked either. 🙃

I feel like I am now going round in circles, uninstalling, installing, reinstalling - nothing seems to work.  I have tried all the methods suggested, used HP Print and Scan Doctor, but everytime I try to print something, it just comes up with an error message.

The odd thing is, I used an old laptop that wasn't set up with this printer and it worked first time (and in colour) using the add a printer function in the Control Panel.

Other than undertaking a new reinstall of Windows (which I don't really want to do), I have no idea how to progress this.

Any new ideas would be very much appreciated.

HP Recommended

Create a TCP IP port

1. Print a Configuration Page to get the printer's IPv4 address (you can also tap on the wireless icon on the front panel of your Printer to get the IP address)

2. On your PC, go to Control Panel, from Devices and Printers, right-click the printer and left-click Printer Properties, select the Ports tab.

3. Click Add Port, select Standard TCP/IP Port, then select New Port and follow the wizard.

4. Type in the proper IP address for the printer.

This video resource will show you how to do it:

Create & Use TCP IP port

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the response, we appear to have success.  The printer is not only working but also on colour, we got there in the end.

Thank you for your help.

HP Recommended

I'm glad to hear that and you're most welcome. Do get back to us in the future for further assistance.

Have a nice day!:)

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help; my printer is back online.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.