Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5643

My HP Envy makes a very loud grinding noise while printing, and has frequent paper jams especially if I am duplex printing.  I have tried cleaning the rubber rollers and that had no effect.  I've seen posts on other HP printers with the same problem, and it has been suggested that there may be a broken roller gear or a clutch out of position?  I haven't seen any possible answers for my HP Envy 5643 though.  I have removed as many "removeable" parts as I can, and blown out the dust with compressed air, to see if that helps, but no improvement.

Can any one offer me any more suggestions to improve or repair this problem?  I really like the printer and we have owned it for at least a couple of years now.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Tinkerself,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips!  I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I understand you are

I understand you are getting grinding noise while printing from your HP Envy printer. o assist you with this issue, I need to know whether the printer can make a "Photocopy" or not.

Place a document face down on the scanner glass and press the copy option on the printer control panel. Let me know if it makes a good copy or not.

If the copy also fails to feed the paper while making a loud noise, then I’d suggest you clean the paper pick rollers and the paper path to try and fix the issue.

If the copy also fails to feed the paper while making a loud noise, then I’d suggest you clean the paper pick rollers and the paper path to try and fix the issue.

Go to HP Printers - 'Paper Jam' Error  and follow the steps listed here. Follow all the steps to completely resolve the issue.

I'd also suggest you update the printer firmware. Go to https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-5640-e-all-in-one-printer-series/6583033/mo... to download and update the printer firmware. Try to perform a power drain once done. 

• Remove the cartridges from the printer.
  • With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  • Remove USB cable, if present.
  • Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.
  • Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord (This is important) and then plug back the power cord to the printer.
  • Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @Tinkerself,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips!  I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I understand you are

I understand you are getting grinding noise while printing from your HP Envy printer. o assist you with this issue, I need to know whether the printer can make a "Photocopy" or not.

Place a document face down on the scanner glass and press the copy option on the printer control panel. Let me know if it makes a good copy or not.

Go to HP Printers - 'Paper Jam' Error  and follow the steps listed here. Follow all the steps to completely resolve the issue.

I'd also suggest you update the printer firmware. Go to https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-5640-e-all-in-one-printer-series/6583033/mo... to download and update the printer firmware. Try to perform a power drain once done. 

• Remove the cartridges from the printer.
  • With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  • Remove USB cable, if present.
  • Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.
  • Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord (This is important) and then plug back the power cord to the printer.
  • Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you Mr. Singh, updating the firmware via the link you provided seemed to do the trick.  I first made a photocopy and noticed the paper feed did not make the same noise - it sounded like a normal paper feed.  I then updated the firmware per your link and printed a test page and noticed it was also normal sounding.  Finally I completed the full power drain per your instructions and now the printer seems to be "back to normal".  Hopefully this was a permanent fix, but I'll find out in the days to come.

Thank you again!

Tinkerself

HP Recommended

Hi @Tinkerself,

Thank you for the update,
I appreciate your time and efforts, 

I'm glad I could contribute towards resolving the issue and finding the solution you were looking for.
Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution.

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.
I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.
And mark my post as Accepted Solution to help others find a similar solution as you have.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂
Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear Mr. Singh,

I have an update regarding my HP Envy 5643; it is still very noisy while printing.  When making a photocopy, the printer feeds normally, however when printing, it still makes a grinding noise (best description I can think of).  After following your recommendations for firmware update and power drain, I thought the problem was corrected yesterday, however it still seems to be very noisy while printing. 

And just to let you know, I have checked the entire paper path, removing the trays and covers and blowing the path with compressed air as well as cleaning the rubber rollers with isopropyl alcohol, so I do not think dirt and dust is the problem.  If it was, it would also be noisy during printing a photocopy, correct?

I hope to hear more recommendations as to a solution; thank you for your help thus far.

Tinkerself

HP Recommended

Hi @Tinkerself,

Thank you for replying,

As I understand you are still having issues with the grinding noise coming while printing. This definitely looks like a possible hardware failure with the printer. I would recommend you contact our HP phone support for further assistance.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The recommended procedure worked on my HP Envy 5643. Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.