Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5660
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Hi. I have a HP Envy 5660. It doesn't print well in black and white (text usually gets a shadow or lines), but the printer still recognized what it should be printing. However, when I want something in color, the printer doesn't print anything at all. Instead of printing an image, it just prints greenish, scratchy smudges all along the page. It does this on any kind of paper setting, with both regular paper and vinyl sticker paper. I've tried unplugging it and restarting it. It's been this way for a very long time - I just hadn't dealt with the issue since I didn't need to print color. The printer has the same issue on iPhone 11, Macbook Pro High Sierra, and Windows. Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @totodile

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the print quality issues on the printer. This seems like a hardware issue, let us try these steps:

Check the estimated ink levels

On the printer control panel, touch the Ink icon to display the current estimated ink levels. Replace any low or empty ink cartridges.

Update the printer firmware

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Clean the ink cartridges

1. On the printer control panel, swipe the display to the left, and then touch Setup.

The Setup menu displays.

2. Swipe the display up, and then touch Printer Maintenance.

3. Touch Clean Cartridges.

4. If the print quality is unacceptable, touch Proceed when prompted to continue the next level of cleaning. Repeat these steps for the third cleaning stage, if necessary.
note: If the printhead is badly clogged, it might require another cleaning cycle. If so, wait 30 minutes before you perform all three levels of cleaning again.

Print a Print Quality Diagnostic report

1. On the printer control panel, swipe the display to the left, and then touch Setup.

The Setup menu displays.

2. Touch Reports, and then touch Print Quality Report.

A Print Quality Diagnostic page prints. Examine the color blocks for defects

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hey Kumar, thank you for the help. Your advice was a step in the right direction, as now the printer is printing the images I want. There were no new firmware updates. I cleaned the printer twice, and then did an alignment.  However, the colors are incredibly faded and have some of those horizontal line streaks. My color ink is halfway full, and my black ink is about 30% full. This printer is pretty old, so I'm  likely going to replace it at this rate. I don't want to have to have to buy new cartridges just to see if it works, only to find out it won't.

HP Recommended

@totodile, thank you for the response.

If the issue persists, please contact our HP Support team for Service Options as it could be a possible hardware issue:

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Select the appropriate option based on your preference.

6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.