Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5660
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am having multiple issues with my HP Envy 5660. 

1. The printer will not print after it goes to sleep. If the printer has fallen asleep I cannot print, not even test pages. I have to turn off the printer, turn it back on and then print a test page before I can print anything else. I cannot print from anywhere until I do the test page. This is wasting a lot of ink and paper. 

2. I cannot print from my mobile anymore. I am assuming the two issues are related. Even after I cycle power and print a test page and something else from my desktop, I cannot print from my mobile. The print screen comes up and simply reads "This printer isn't available right now."

Some background info:

• Printer is plugged directly into the wall, not a surge protector.
  • I'm in the Instant Ink program so I have only so many pages of printing a month available. Having to print a test page before everything I print is killing my statistics and costing me. 
  • I am running Windows 10 on my desktop. 
  • My mobile is Samsung Galaxy S9 with Android version 9.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@auroraivy, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Assigning a static IP address to the printer may resolve this issue.

1. Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to obtain the IP address.
  2. Type the IP address at the top of your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  3. If you get any security notification, click on show details/advanced and 'proceed to this website'.
  4. Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.
  5. Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
  6. Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
  7. Click on the radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

Note: You may watch this video for a better understanding.

Check the connectivity between the printer and the phone

• Make sure the printer and the mobile are connected to the same wireless network.
  • This printer supports only 2.4GHz network.
  • If you have a Dual-band router and both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks share the same name/SSID, the printer will not be able to connect to the network. In this case, contact your Internet service provider to assign different names to both the networks.

Install HP Smart on your mobile device to print

Click here to download and know more about the app.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Kumar,

I followed your directions and unfortunately once I tried completing step 7. Click on the radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address), I started getting errors. Now I cannot access my printer at all. 

I have tried going to the new IP designated, 192.168.1.231, but I am not getting anywhere. I have restarted the printer and tried the test page but I am unable to print a test page now either. 

I did adjust the IP address to match that which is listed on the printer now, but that didn't make a difference. 

Please advise. 

HP Recommended

@auroraivy

That's unfortunate. Ideally Manual DNS server is preferred. However, in this case, you may select 'Automatic DNS server' and check if that helps.

Also, restart your network devices

1. Turn off the Router, Printer, and the computer/ mobile devices.
  2. Wait for 60 seconds.
  3. Turn on the Router first and wait for all the lights to stabilize.
  4. Turn on the printer and allow it to configure itself.
  5. Turn on the computer/ mobile devices.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@kumar0307

Hi Kumar,

I will not mess with my router at this time, I have wireless cameras and everytime I reboot it all my cameras fail and I have to call their support which lasts for hours - so not doing that. 

I was able to get back to the starting point by resetting my printer to default settings and it reset my IP back to 192.168.1.7. So, I can access that webpage again, though I cannot print. I went through your steps again and it looks like it saved this time. I did change the IP after I requested one back to the 192.168.1.7 and that seemed to make a difference. 

A couple minutes later I received a notification that said connection was lost and I could not scan. So, I tried printing a test page and nothing happened. No error and no test page. 

Also, I was able to print the Network configuration page from the web address. On this paper it says it is connected and all is fine so I am not sure what the issue is at this point. I cannot print at all now, not even test pages, but I can access the IP address web page. 

I am willing to uninstall/reinstall the printer - right not it won't uninstall for some reason. I am just right clicking on the printer from Devices and Printers and selecting Remove device.  It does show the device as offline here as well.

If you can guide me through that we can try going through that process. 

Please advise. 

HP Recommended

@auroraivy

If you are able to access the EWS page of the printer from a browser, it means the connectivity between the printer and the PC is fine.

Once on the EWS page, go to Tools > try printing a test page.

Since the IP address of the printer has changed, did you try to assign a manual IP address again?

Let me know how this goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Kumar, 

I can now print from my computer but I cannot print from mobile still. I would like assistance getting the print from mobile working again. 

This is what I did to confirm I can now print from computer, but I cannot print from mobile:

1. I've left my printer alone for a couple days and just turned my computer on. It wouldn't print from the computer or mobile and the IP web page wasn't loading. 
  2. I manually woke up my printer by pressing the power button so the screen came on and tried accessing the page again - not available. 
  3. I turned off the printer, turned it back on.
  4. Once the wireless button was solid and showed connection, I tried accessing the page - the page came up. 
  5. Clicked on Print Self Test Page - printed. 
  6. I tried printing a document from my computer - I got a message that the printer was offline. However, my printer did start trying to do stuff and gave me an out of paper message. Refilled paper and hit Ok - printed the page. 
  7. I tried printing a web page - printed.
  8. I tried printing from my mobile - there is a message on my phone that says the printer is unavailable and I cannot print to it. 
  9. I left the printer alone until after it fell asleep, several hours. Tried printing from a web page - woke to print. 
  10. Tried to print from the phone - printer still shows as unavailable. 

Please advise on getting the mobile printing to work. 

HP Recommended

Hi Kumar,

This morning I turned on my computer and tried printing, it will not wake up from sleep. So, still having both issues. IP web page will not load. 

So, back to square one. 

I think this must be an issue with the printer itself. 

HP Recommended

@auroraivy

Thank you for your patience. I think this issue needs some additional technical assistance that can be better provided through one-on-one interaction with our HP Support team.

I would request you to contact them for further assistance.

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Select the appropriate option based on your preference.

6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.