Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5660
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am having difficulties printing - missing parts, streaks through photos, and such. I have found suggestions that tell me to click on Setup, then on Printer Maintenance, and then select 'clean printheads'. Except there is NO option to clean printheads. I can clean ink cartridges, clean smears, align things, but no cleaning of printhead. Is it hiding somewhere??

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

To clean the cartridges from the printer display take a look at page 80 in this link.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
HP Recommended

Yes, I have seen that. However - as I stated in my original post - there is NO 'clean printhead' option under Setup/Printer Maintenance. 

HP Recommended

Did you install the full version of the HP software?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

As far as I know (or can remember), I installed software. Is there something specific I should look for or should I simply go online somewhere and re-download the software?

HP Recommended

You can find the software here.

HP Recommended

I went to the link and downloaded the software. When I double-clicked on the exe file, it showed me a screen asking me to choose what I wanted it to do. One option was add a new printer, or configure the wireless network, and there was one other option I can't remember which didn't apply. So I chose 'add a new printer'. After that, absolutely nothing happened. I went back to the website and downloaded it again, and again chose 'add a new printer', and again, nothing happened. No installation, no download, no nothing. 

All I want to do is clean the dang printheads because when I try to print on photo paper, it's got a bunch of grainy stuff and streaks in it. Why does this have to be such a problem??

HP Recommended

Two things, I did provide you the info on how to use the printer panel to clean the print head.

Also you need to uninstall the HP software b4 installing it again.

HP Recommended

Okay, I have said twice now that there is NO CLEAN PRINTHEAD option on my printer panel under 'settings/printer maintenance'. I also do not know how to uninstall the existing printer software. 

HP Recommended

In the search box on the taskbar, type Control Panel and select it from the results.
Select Program and Features
Select your HP Printer 
Select Uninstall 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.