Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy PHoto 7174
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My printer stopped printing colour.  I reinstalled the software, which made no difference.  Then I changed the colour cartridge although there was plenty of ink still in the original cartridge.  This seemed to do the trick,  but very soon it failed again. What can I do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi

I now get a faint red when copying but no other colours. The printer was set to default when I did the download you recommended. I've taken a screenshot of a photo from the internet and it comes out in black and white apart from some blue and yellow lines down the side.

I need to be able to print from Word.

Regards
Hopeful2020

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi there! First of all, check whether the cartridge is able to ooze out ink or not and in order to check that try to make a color copy by placing any document on the scanner glass and then hit the copy button on the printer screen. 

If color shows up on the printed page then it means the cartridge is working fine and there is something going wrong with the software itself and sometimes even re-installing the drivers doesn't make any change as  color option under printing preferences remain absent hence we need to add a separate printer entry under devices & printers window.

Press the wireless icon on the printer screen and get IP address first and then follow the steps given on below link:

https://www.technipages.com/windows-install-printer-via-ip-address

let me know the results!

Regards,

Rider

HP Recommended

Hello Rider

I followed the steps and it told me there was a driver currently installed, recommended using that one. But I opted for replacing it. I still can't print colour.

More help needed, please!

Regards

Hopeful2020

HP Recommended

Did you check the copy stuff to cross check if color cartridge is working fine or not? If yes then make sure the new entry that you added is set as default and printing jobs are going to through it.

Also try to switch the application you are using, for example if you are printing from Word then try with PDF file or internet browser 

Regards, 

Rider

HP Recommended

Hi

I now get a faint red when copying but no other colours. The printer was set to default when I did the download you recommended. I've taken a screenshot of a photo from the internet and it comes out in black and white apart from some blue and yellow lines down the side.

I need to be able to print from Word.

Regards
Hopeful2020

HP Recommended

I changed the cartridge again and found it did print, so the advice to install again probably did the trick.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.