Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 7640
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Envy 7640 presents message "The selected paper or tray cannot be used for copying on both sides of a page.  Job canceled."

1. Insert pages of single-sided original, face up in feeder.
  2. On the Envy control panel:
    1. Tap [Copy]
    2. Tap [2-Sided]
    3. Tap [1 -> 2]
    4. Tap [Black] or [Color]

Either one produces the above message.

How do you get it to output 1-sided to 2-sided?

I was pretty sure I'd done this before when I first got the printer about a year ago.  Maybe a firmware upgrade?  Or maybe I am thinking of my previous printer?

Then why would it even have the [1 -< 2] option?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @IronRod,

As I understand you have already tried to perform a firmware update on the printer and it seems to have not helped. Don't worry as I have a few other steps which should help you resolve this issue.

I would suggest the next step would be to perform an advanced reset on the printer. 

I am sending you a private message with the steps to reset the printer. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile,

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

Please reply back on the public post as this Private message box is not monitored.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely,

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi @IronRod,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips!  I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I understand you are having issues with duplex not printing after the recent Windows 10 update. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

Let's try these steps here to Uninstall and Re-install the printer drivers:

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.) Restart the PC

14.) Now click on this link: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/en7640/EN7640_Full_WebPack_40.11.1135.exe and install the updated printer software

15.) Connect the USB cable only when prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup.

Now go ahead and check the settings, 

• Go to Control panel – Devices and printer.
  • Right-click on Photosmart C4480 and select “Printer properties”.
  • Select the “Device settings” tab.
  • Ensure that the “Duplex unit” is set to “Installed” rather than “Not installed” and save the settings.
  • Now again give a right-click on the printer icon and select “Printing preferences”.
  • If a "Printing shortcuts" tab is available, select the "Print on Both Sides" or "Two-sided (Duplex) Printing" option.
  • If “Printing shortcut” is not available, click the “Layout”, “Features”, or “Finishing tab”, depending on which tab displays in your driver version.
  • Locate the "Print on Both Sides" or "Two-sided printing" menu or option, then select the binding or page flip option depending on if you want the document to read like a booklet or a tablet and save the settings.

Let me know how that pans out,

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Please read the description and steps in my original post.  I have updated the post subject, changing the word "print" to "copy" so the post subject matches the post content.

This has nothing to do with Windows 10 or the computer.  It is ALL from the FRONT PANEL and COPYING not PRINTING.  I have restarted the printer with no improvement.

HP Recommended

Hi @IronRod,

As I understand you are having issues while copying from the printer. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

Let's try these steps here: 

Load the original print side up into the document feeder, or load the original print side down on the right front corner of the scanner glass.

Specify number of copies and settings.

From the Home screen, touch Copy . Flick to the desired number of copies.

● If the value for the 2–Sided option is 1:1, touch to select 1:2.

● Touch (Settings), scroll through the options, and then touch Resize to make sure Actual is selected.

NOTE: The 2-sided function does not work if the Fit to Page option is selected.

● From the Settings screen, specify paper size, paper type, quality, or other settings.

● Touch (Back) to return to the Copy screen.

Touch Black or Color to start the copy job.

When prompted, load the second original and touch OK.

For detailed instructions, please go through the user guide of this printer and scroll down to page no. 40 which exactly shows the steps. 

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, my "Resize" option already shows "Actual Size".  I even changed it and then set it back to "Actual Size" to be sure. The same error message appears as in my original post.

All the settings are as follows:

• ID Card Copy = Off
  • 2-sided = 1:2
  • Tray and Paper = Main Tray, Letter
  • Lighter/Darker = Normal
  • Quality = Normal
  • Enhancements = Mixed
  • Collate = Off
  • Margin Shift = Off
  • Resize = Actual Size

From the front-panel, I checked for updates but it says the most recent update is already installed.

Browsing to the printer and going to "Tools" it shows the "Firmware Version" as NSM5CN1736AR.

HP Recommended

Hi @IronRod,

As I understand you have already tried to perform a firmware update on the printer and it seems to have not helped. Don't worry as I have a few other steps which should help you resolve this issue.

I would suggest the next step would be to perform an advanced reset on the printer. 

I am sending you a private message with the steps to reset the printer. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile,

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

Please reply back on the public post as this Private message box is not monitored.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely,

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Those steps were successful in correcting the issue.  Thank you.

Be aware that this reset required me to go back into the administrative settings to re-enable many things; e.g., web scan, web services, etc.

HP Recommended

Hi @IronRod,

Thank you for the update,
I appreciate your time and efforts, 

I'm glad I could contribute towards resolving the issue and finding the solution you were looking for.
Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution.

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.
I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.
And mark my post as Accepted Solution to help others find a similar solution as you have.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂
Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,
Can you snd me the solution to this problem also? The printer Copy function ignores the Copy 1-> 2 option ...

HP Recommended

Can you please help me with the copy one sided pages to 2 sided?  It says it has been solved but doesn't tell anyone what the solution was!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.