Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy Photo 7134
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

I am suddenly having problems opening the printer to change the cartridges. When I try to open, the door resists, and the error message shows, "The cover or door must be closed to continue". Meanwhile the cartridges do not move into the right position for a change. So I have to close the door and give up. I have already looked up the problem here and read the advice given to another user" that advice was to disconnect the printer from the mains and then restart. But that does not solve the problem in this case.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @SGthoth

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.

I'm afraid this seems like a hardware issue with the printer. You may refer to this document to know how to replace the ink cartridges. Refer to this document to resolve a carriage jam issue

As the print carriage is jammed and you are having difficulties opening the cartridge access door, please contact our HP Support team for Service Options as it could be a possible hardware issue:

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Select the appropriate option based on your preference.

6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for responding but your proposed solution will not help because you have not correctly diagnosed the problem.

You say for example that I must have a "carriage jam issue" but this is not correct. I can print and copy items without a problem. The carriage works normally, and the paper moves normally through the printer. The top lid works normally, and I can place paper on the screen for scanning.

What I cannot do is to OPEN THE UNIT freely, so that the ink cartridges move automatically into position in preparedness for a cartridge change. THis problem was reported previously by other users and they were advised, effectively to turn the printer off and on again (at the mains) and I have tried that, it doesn't help.

Can you please advise me again, this time for the correct problem?

HP Recommended

@SGthoth, I understand. You not able to open the cartridge access door is a hardware issue. As you have mentioned in your first post that the cartridges do not move to change the ink cartridges indicates an issue with the carriage, Hence, a related document was provided.

If you are able to print, that rules out the carriage jam issue. However, the issue with the door is a cosmetic issue.

Kindly contact HP support team as mentioned in my previous post for further assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I was not able to reply earlier because I was away from the printer and did not have the product details with me. I am now back and I have returned to the "support team" as you advise, but the options seem to be either a) this support community or b) an automated chatbot – which is not able to help me in any way – or a paid phone service. I am reluctant to spend money on the last option, as I have not been given any indication so far that HP will be able to help me resolve the problem. Especially since you are saying that it is a HARDWARE problem.

So can you please let me know, WHERE can I bring my printer for a hardware repair? I live in London, anywhere central is fine. Or do you collect? How do I get a quote?

HP Recommended

@SGthoth

HP does not have service centers where the printer can be repaired. If the printer is under warranty, HP Support team will assist you with the repair process. Any information about servicing the printer can be obtained by contacting the HP Support team.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.