Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Envy Photo 7830
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi all,

Scanning documents from within installed HP PC-Software is no problem, including making custom presets for different Scan jobs, defining resolution, colors and output formats.

But...

When I scan a document directly from scanner device to an USB pen drive, the defaults for Scan resolution, Output format and Color scheme persist to be set to:

Resolution:                      300 dpi

Save as:                             PDF

Color format:                  Color

However, the device's display offers to choose from the following Options/Alternatives:

Resolution:                     200, 600 dpi

Save as:                            JPG

Color format:                  Grayscale, Monochrome/Black

Though, after every single Scan job, any custom Settings (from above) is lost - and the device switches back to its Scan defaults (300 dpi/PDF/Color) again.

I cannot find a way to save any of these offered "custom settings" for lasting, as default. Neither via the device menue/display itself, nor via the HP-PC Software installed on the Computer.

Does someone please know the Solution, how to?
Thank you in advance 🙂
Max Mueller

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@MaxMueller

Thanks for keeping me posted

Unfortunately you cannot save the scan settings permanently on the Printer, however you can save the scan settings using the HP Printer Assistant Software

- Launch the HP Printer Assistant, click on Scan.

- In the HP Scan Window make any changes you need in the settings 

- Click on Create New Scan Shortcut and Enter a Name for the settings and Create it as Current Settings

- A new Scan Shortcut will be created and everytime you want to scan with these settings you just have to click on the Shortcut Name

Keep me posted how it goes

Thank you 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@MaxMueller

Welcome to HP Support Forums. A really great platform for posting all your questions and finding solutions.

I have gone through your Post and I would like to help.

Please download the Full Feature Software and the Firmware from this Link: https://support.hp.com/ie-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-photo-7800-all-in-one-printer-series/907315...

Then follow the instructions in this Link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03890386 to Create custom paper sizes from Devices and Printers

Thank you and have a great day 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear KrazyToad,

I'm afraid you greatly misunderstood my question.

You provided instructions for Printing to custom paper sizes.

But this is not what I'm looking for.

What I asked for is:

How to save custom Scan Settings as permanent default, using the tiny menue/display directly at the device.

Problem is:

Making Scans directly at the device (using its display) leads to the inevitable annoyance that the device's Scan Settings defaults persist to be at "300 dpi, color, PDF".

So, when I (manually, at the device's display) choose other Settings, e.g. "200 dpi, Grayscale/Black, PDF", then it quickly reverts back to "300 dpi, color, PDF", right after a Scan job is done.

I'm missing an option to permanently save my custom Scan Settings (like "200 dpi, Grayscale/Black, PDF") at the device/display, as my default. I don't want the device's Software to revert back to its own Scan default (which is "300 dpi, color, PDF") again after every single Scan.

Can you help me please?

P.S.:

a) Device's Firmware was up to date (PALSUPPPXN003.1834A.00 / no update needed)

b) As suggested, I installed the Full Feature printer Software (044.003.2218.18109 / 24.94.01.7079), replacing the basic printer Software in use, before. But it didn't help to my issue.

c) As a last call, I also followed your suggestion by creating a custom paper size, but it didn't affect the issue. No surprise at this point 🙂

Cheers, Max Mueller

HP Recommended

@MaxMueller

Thanks for keeping me posted

Unfortunately you cannot save the scan settings permanently on the Printer, however you can save the scan settings using the HP Printer Assistant Software

- Launch the HP Printer Assistant, click on Scan.

- In the HP Scan Window make any changes you need in the settings 

- Click on Create New Scan Shortcut and Enter a Name for the settings and Create it as Current Settings

- A new Scan Shortcut will be created and everytime you want to scan with these settings you just have to click on the Shortcut Name

Thank you 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear KrazyToad,

Thank you for helping me. Now I can forget what I was looking for.

Being the 7830 one of the most expensive printer on the consumer market today (based on its sky-high ink/printing costs per page and its far-from-cheap street price around 200 Euros), I expected some compensating quality features built-in to this device instead, in exchange. One of such pacifying features would have been depicted by User's ability to save custom scanning preferences at the device itself.

Supposedly, the most common practices to do a quick document scan to a memory stick is, by just standing right before the device, making a quick hit-and-run Scan without having a running and connected PC involved.  But here, the on-device options for custom resolutions and output formats is surprisingly poor, and you generally cannot choose smaller scan resolutions below than 200 dpi.

For smaller resolutions you have to involve a running/connected PC instead, including a time-consuming, cumbersome Scan-to-PC procedure. This is so disappointing. How come...

It would have afforded just a few additional lines of code at the firmware side to provide state-of-the art usabilty at the device's display menues. :LightBulb:

Cheers, Max Mueller

HP Recommended

@MaxMueller

I'm the Riddle_Decipher & I'm writing on behalf of my colleague @KrazyToad, as the tech is out for the day, that said, I will forward your comments to him, meanwhile, If you have any other concerns do let us know, so we can help you out.

As far as the information on the printer, I have forwarded that to the R&D team, so they can work on developing on your suggestion,

If you aren't satisfied with my response, let me know and I'll see what I can do to help you out.

Keep me posted and have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear Riddle_Decipher,

Thank you so much for taking my comment worth to send to R&D department.

Having plenty of work experience at large companies, I do not expect a firmware upgrade for the 7830. In best case, the idea will be taken up as legit input for future device's minimal/basic menue design requirments.

I'm glad you got the funny lack of essential menue choices at the 7830 yourself as a stunning riddle!

:Wink:

Cheers, Max Mueller

HP Recommended

@MaxMueller

Thank you for responding,

This is the Riddle_Decipher, again!

Your suggestions are always welcome,

Although I can't guarantee when these awesome ideas would be implemented as such, however, I've done my part as you have yours, let's hope it's taken care off.

That said if you feel my response was useful and you'd like to help the community grow, simply click on "Accept as solution".

Take care and have a good day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.