Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5660
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a brand new Envy 5660 printer that only prints in black and white. All cartridges are brand new and diagnostics indicate no issues. Print Quality Diagnostic page prints in color but printing documents, emails, etc. that should be in color are only printing black and white. Am I missing something?? Please help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello, @ckerdock72 – Hope you are well 🙂

Allow me to welcome to HP Support Forums! It is a great platform to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others!

I see that your Envy printer is printing in black & white while printing the test pages in color. It seems to be an issue with the driver settings on your PC. Try the steps below:

• Go to Control panel – Devices and printers.
  • Right-click on envy 5660 and select Printing preferences.
  • Go to the layout / paper quality tab and look for the “Print in grayscale” / “Grayscale” or “Black & White” printing option.
  • Make sure that option is unchecked, save the setting and then try printing again.

That should do the trick, but if the issue persists, then try reinstalling the drivers as suggested below:

• Unplug the USB cable from the printer and computer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Envy printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Now click on HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads to download and install the printer drivers.
  • Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

And it's also refusing to print on occasion... saying that it's "Offline".. however all seems to be well and connected. Any advice would be appreciated!

HP Recommended

Hello, @ckerdock72 – Hope you are well 🙂

Allow me to welcome to HP Support Forums! It is a great platform to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others!

I see that your Envy printer is printing in black & white while printing the test pages in color. It seems to be an issue with the driver settings on your PC. Try the steps below:

• Go to Control panel – Devices and printers.
  • Right-click on envy 5660 and select Printing preferences.
  • Go to the layout / paper quality tab and look for the “Print in grayscale” / “Grayscale” or “Black & White” printing option.
  • Make sure that option is unchecked, save the setting and then try printing again.

That should do the trick, but if the issue persists, then try reinstalling the drivers as suggested below:

• Unplug the USB cable from the printer and computer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Envy printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Now click on HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads to download and install the printer drivers.
  • Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thanks Dvortex! I didn't see anything in printing preferences re: grayscale (I'd actually already thought to look for that previously)... but the reinstallation of the software/drivers did the trick! Thanks!!

HP Recommended

I have a Envy 5055 and it won't print or scan in color.  It had previously been working up until this point with no problem.  I've changed the ink cartridge, cleaned the cartridges.  I've run the print quality DX which also will not print in color.  Hope you can help

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.