Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

I've been using the printer moderately , max printed per month will be 3-4 times , each only printed around 5-10 page max. Before this problem, the colour wouldn't came out at all, and a technician told me there was air bubble in the ink line and because once the printed wasn't being used for about 2 month , and the printer was off . so I've been told to keep the printer in idle even im not using it for a while .

I've tried checkin the supplies status in hp utility, the results are tri colour ink empty, black in empty, but the ink tank outside were all still full. 

please help..

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@ginsa82, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Let us try these steps to resolve this issue:

Reset the printer

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  2. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  3. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  4. Turn ON the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  5. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Note: HP recommends connecting the printer directly to a wall outlet rather than a surge protector or a power strip.

Update the printer firmware

Click here to download and install the latest firmware from your MAC.

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Check the ink levels

1. Visually check the printer ink levels using the ink tank window.

2. Add ink to any of the tanks where the level is below or close to the minimum fill line.

CAUTION: Do not let the ink levels fall below the minimum fill line when printing. Very low ink levels can result in reduced print quality.

Image: Filled ink tanks

Clean the printheads

1. Search the Mac for Print, and then click Printers & Scanners in the list of results.

2. Click the name of your printer, and then click Open Print Queue.

3. Click Printer Setup or Settings, click Utility, and then click Open Printer Utility.

4. Click Clean Printheads.

5. Once the cleaning cycle completes, click Print. A Print Quality Diagnostic page prints.

Note: If HP Utility is not available, download and install the printer essential software from here

Print a Print Quality Diagnostic page

Press and hold the Start Copy Color button  on the printer control panel for 3 seconds to print a Print Quality Diagnostic page.

Review the Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and Black boxes, checking for missing colors, fading, and white lines.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the problem. Printer is 4 months old. I did not print anything for 2 plus months. Then when I went to print, the black does not print at all. The tanks are all full of original HP ink that came with the unit. I have put the unit through at least 15 cleaning cycles, to no avail. I have also followed all of your other suggestions about diagnostics but have not attempted to update the firmware as the unit is 4 months old.

Also, the other colours print but are faint.

When I take a look inside the unit (by opening the front door(s)) at the print ink supply tubes, I see air bubbles in all colour lines.

brad

HP Recommended

@Brad39, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

That's unfortunate. If you have tried all the troubleshooting steps and the issue persists, please contact our HP Support team for Service Options as it could be a possible hardware issue:

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Select the appropriate option based on your preference.

6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It seems to me that this is a design issue with the HP  ink tank printers.

I have the same problem with my 415 - air bubbles in the ink tubes, but I was using the printer for a few days before it happened.

HP should come up with a fix and repair these printers so that it doesn't happen again.

Appalling quality control on the design from HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.