Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Ink Tank Wireless 415
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

I purchased an HP Ink Tank Wireless 415 a few days ago. I ran the installation program from my PC laptop (runs Windows 10) and everything went without any problems. Then I executed the install program on my wife's MacBook Pro (running Sierra 10.13) and it all appeared to run fine, but when it came to print the test page, nothing happened. I looked at the printer queue, and it reported "unable to get printer status", and the printer shows as "idle". I tried removing the printer and adding it manually, with the same results.

I did add a second instance of the printer to print with the USB cable connected to the MacBook, and that worked. Still, I would like to be able to print wirelessly from both laptops. I did try printing from my Android phone, and that worked too. I am guessing this is a software issue, because the printer itself is working. Please advise.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@guitaric60

A warm welcome to HP forums! This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries.

It sounds like an issue with the printer driver installed on  Mac. Removing the existing driver and setting up the printer with Apple AirPrint may resolve the issue. Let's try these steps;

Please ensure that the printer is up to date with its firmware and Mac is up to date with it's software. If you are unsure you may use the links below to update the printer and Mac software:

Update printer firmware

Update software on Mac

1.) Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.

2.) Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, If your printer is listed, click the printer name, click the minus sign to delete the printer.

3.) If you see multiple printer queues for the same printer, remove all extra printers by selecting them one at a time, and then clicking the minus button  at the bottom of the list.

4.) Click the plus sign , click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name.

5.) Click the Use or Print Using menu, select AirPrint in the pop-up menu. Then click Add.

Select AirPrint from the Use menu

6.) Try to print and scan.

Let me know how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Have a great day!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, senan6806:

Thank you for your reply., The instructions provided, though seemingly straightforward, were somewhat unclear to me. Here's what I understood:

Update printer firmware - So this is a reinstall of the printer software, right? I cannot imagine that there has been an update in the last 5 days. I went ahead and downloaded the install program again (it was the same file I had downloaded when I purchased the printer a few days ago), and went ahead and ran the "Add new printer option" (I assume that´s the one I needed to run, right? Again, that was not explicitly stated, and I'm just wanting to make sure I did the right one).

Update Mac software - I checked on that and the App Store on the MacBook Pro reports no updates availiable, so I must be up to date.

I deleted the printer from the "Printers and Scanners" dialog box, and manually added the printer, selecting the "AirPrint" option, which the Mac changed to "AirPrint Secure". When I attempted to print a page, the printer queue dialog box reports the error "Encryption credentials have expired". So, the error is different, but the result is the same. The MacBook Pro is not communicating properly with the printer. What now?

Thanks again for your time.

Regards,

Enrique aka guitaric

HP Recommended

senan:

Second update. I re-read the instructions and noticed that they indicated to pick "AirPrint", not "Secure AirPrint". So I went ahead and deleted the printer again, and attempted to add it again. Now it does not even add the printer and gives me the following message:

"An error occurred while trying to add the selected device. Unable to communicate with the printer at this time." 

I can only cancel out and select an option different from AirPrint. Again, please advise.

Enrique

HP Recommended

Hi @guitaric60, I am the Mr.Robot. It looks like you were interacting with @senan6806, but he is out of the office today, so I'll take over from here.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you mentioned the issue still persists after trying out the steps.

Repair Disk Permissions on your MAC

Click on your desktop so that next to the Apple icon it says Finder, then click on Go (you will see this next to Finder after File, Edit and View).
Under Go, click on Applications.
In Applications select Utilities.
In the Utilities folder you will see Disk Utility, double-click this icon to open the Disk Utilities.  
Click on your Hard drive, then click on First Aid. Click Okay to allow it to run. 

Once the repair is complete, restart the computer and add the printer back as Airprint.

When you add the printer, please ensure you are using AirPrint from the list.

Select Add other Printer or Scanner                                                       
Select the printer you are adding and next to 'Use' select the printer driver.

Lastly, try restoring the network setting to default and add the printer to the network again.

To restore network settings to default settings
● Press the Wireless button ( ) and the Cancel button ( ) from the printer control panel at the same
time, and then hold them for three seconds.

Connect your printer to a wireless network using Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS)

To use the Push Button Configuration (PBC) method

1. Press and hold the Wireless button on the printer for more than three seconds to start WPS push
mode. The Wireless light starts blinking.
2. Press the WPS button on your router.

To use the PIN method

1. Press the Wireless button and Information button at the same time to print the network
configuration page, and then locate a WPS PIN.
The WPS PIN is printed at the top of the printed information page.
2. Press and hold the Wireless button ( ) from the printer control panel for more than three seconds.
The wireless light starts blinking.
3. Open the configuration utility or software for the wireless router or wireless access point, and then enter
the WPS PIN.

Wait for about two minutes. If the printer connects successfully, the Wireless light stops blinking but remains
lit

Let me know if this helps!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Mr. Robot:

Thank you for your message. There was one development over the weekend: Apple sent me an upgrade to Mohave.

I upgraded the MacBook Pro to macOS Mohave 10.14.

Afterwards, I attempted adding the printer manually, selecting the "AirPrint" option under "Use". I received the same message: cannot communicate with the printer.

I ran the Disk Utility "First Aid" as you suggeted. Attempted to add the printer with the same results as above.

Somewhat disappointed, I reset the network settings on the printer and manually reconnected it to the Wi-Fi network using the WPS method. Attempted adding the printer to the MacBook Pro with the same unsuccessful results. I can print from my Windows laptop without any problem.

This is quite frustrating. One would think that after 10-15 years of Wi-Fi being ubiquitous, these problems would not occur. Any further suggestions?

HP Recommended

@guitaric60, thanks for your quick response and time.

I appreciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you mentioned the issue still persists after trying out the steps.

Make sure your network is working correctly and that the printer is ready for the network setup.

If you are using a wireless router, check your router’s documentation or support site to make sure it meets the following requirements:
Check the router band: Many routers can operate in both 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz frequency bands, but not all HP printers support both bands. Make sure the 2.4 GHz router band is enabled and broadcasting. If the router broadcasts separate network names (SSIDs) for each band, connect the printer to the 2.4 GHz band SSID.

Bonjour support: HP recommends routers that support Bonjour, Apple's network discovery software. Connecting with Bonjour is the best way to find the printer and support wireless printing.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot printer not found on the network. Click Here

Let me know if this helps!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

MrRobot:

Again, I do thank you for your responses. I have tried the steps you recommended but my situation is unchanged. Please let me recap:

Printer was purchased about 10 days ago. It successfully connected to the network and I can print and scan from a PC laptop.

I cannot print (or scan) from a MacBook Pro (running Mohave) connected to the same Wi-Fi network. Your last suggestion was to look for solutions when a printer cannot be found on a network. I do not believe that is the problem. When I try to add the printer to the MacBook, it finds the printer. When I click to add it, and select to use AirPrint, then I get the error message that the Macbook cannot communicate with the printer.

I would consider that it is a hardware issue if both the PC and the Macbook could not print to the printer. But from my PC I can both print and scan wirelessly. If I connect the Macbook to the printer via the USB cable, I can print and scan from the Macbook (if I add an instance of the printer connected via cable, that is). So I think it is safe to say that the hardware is working. In my opinion, there is a software problem here, and it probably has to do with the Macbook, but I don't know enough about the mac OS to know what to change. Does that make sense? Any further recommendations?

Regards,

Enrique

HP Recommended

@guitaric60, Thanks for your quick response and time.

I appreciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you mentioned when you try to print from your MAC you are getting cannot communicate with the printer error.

If you have the printers IP address open Terminal (Applications/Utilities) and at the prompt type: ping {printerIP}. You will get a reply or failure.

Lastly, reset the print system on your MAC.

Click the Apple menu, and then click System Preferences.
Click Printers & Scanners, Print & Scan, or Print & Fax.
Right-click (or Control + click) anywhere inside the Printers window, and then click Reset printing system.
Click Reset or OK.
If prompted, type your username and password, and then click OK.
The printing system resets.
Turn off the printer, wait 5 seconds, and then turn on the printer.
Wait until the printer is idle and silent.
In the Printers window on the Mac, click the Add button.
Select airprint from the list, and then click Add.

Hope this helps!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

MrRobot:

Thanks again for your suggestions. I attempted them without much success. Pinging the printer via Terminal showed no connection.

There was an OS update available from Apple, so I downloaded it. After that I added the printer as detailes before (using "AirPrint", not "AirPrintSecure"), but got the same results as before, i.e., "Encryption credentials expired".

I decided to download the latest HP drivers for mac OS from the HP site, and installed them. Reattempted adding the printer still was unsuccessful with the same messages.

So, after looking at some other threads I thought of adding the printer via searching the Printer's IP address. To my surprise, the printer connected and I was able to print a page. Yay! However, I tried scanning, but apparently the mac does not recognize that the printer is also a scanner. Well, at least I'm partly there. 

ok, so the printer can communicate with the mac. But somehow, using the AirPrint system does not give a proper connection. Again, I believe this points to a software problem. Any additional suggestions are welcome! And thanks for all the help and suggestions you've provided! I appreciate your patience.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.