Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
hp officejet 8500 A909a
Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit)

My officejet 8500 A909a had been working beautiful on windows Vista.  It suddenly started to hesitate for a minute or so before starting to print.  Once it starts printing it seems to work ok.  I installed new drivers and firmware to try and fix the problem but to no avail.  It almost seemed to get worse after that.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @officejet8500,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!  I understand that your Officejet 8500A printer seems to react slowly once you've sent a printer job to it.  I would like to help you that.  If you find that I help you resolve your issue, please return and click on the "Accepted Solution" button.  If you just want to say 'Thanks' please click on the "Thumbs Up" button.

Please start by working through the steps in the HP Officejet Pro 8500 (A909a) All-in-One Printer - Slow Printing in Windows document. 

If you are still experiencing the issue after performing the above steps, please download and run HP's Print and Scan Doctor (PSDr).  The HP Print and Scan Doctor is a free utility (tool) that helps to quickly resolve common printing, scanning and connectivity issues.  After running the PSDr, if you have any icons that do not have a green background, please take note of them and the name of the item for that icon.  Here is a document that will assist you with HP's Print and Scan Doctor

I look forward to hearing your results.

--------------------------
Regards,
Happytohelp
Please click the Thumbs Up to show you like my post or to say thanks!

I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @officejet8500,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!  I understand that your Officejet 8500A printer seems to react slowly once you've sent a printer job to it.  I would like to help you that.  If you find that I help you resolve your issue, please return and click on the "Accepted Solution" button.  If you just want to say 'Thanks' please click on the "Thumbs Up" button.

Please start by working through the steps in the HP Officejet Pro 8500 (A909a) All-in-One Printer - Slow Printing in Windows document. 

If you are still experiencing the issue after performing the above steps, please download and run HP's Print and Scan Doctor (PSDr).  The HP Print and Scan Doctor is a free utility (tool) that helps to quickly resolve common printing, scanning and connectivity issues.  After running the PSDr, if you have any icons that do not have a green background, please take note of them and the name of the item for that icon.  Here is a document that will assist you with HP's Print and Scan Doctor

I look forward to hearing your results.

--------------------------
Regards,
Happytohelp
Please click the Thumbs Up to show you like my post or to say thanks!

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thank you so much for such a detailed answer to my printer problem.  These suggested will probably come in handy for the future as well, in event I have a similar problem.  I downloaded the latest drivers and then updated the firmware on the printer.  The problem was still there until I paid attention to all the details.  I noticed I was supposed to reboot the computer after these downloads.  Once I did that everything started working beautifully again.  I sure am glad to have this printer working again.  It has been the very best all around printer I have ever owned.  

Thank you so much Happytohelp01 for your helpful advice and concerns.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.