Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Office Jet Pro 6978
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have seen other posts about this from a few years back but my printer will  currently not print black ink. We just replaced all the cartridges and started having this issue, bought HP cartridges from Target, so I know there is ink in there. I have read several of the suggestions posted in other responses, including tried to clean the printer heads but still nothing. It wont print black from a print or copy functionality, nothing shows up. Tried multiple types of documents from different devices. Tried the troubleshooting here, with no progress: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-6970-all-in-one-printer-series/8289585/model/1...

I also saw several people say it was a faulty ink cartridge but it was a 902XL and I don't want to keep wasting money and buying that to try because, as you know, they are not cheap. 

Please advise, thanks!

Jessica 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Jleerosburg,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that the printer is not printing black and you are also unable to make a copy in black.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

Did you follow the steps in the article listed below?

https://support.hp.com/in-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-6970-all-in-one-printer-series/8289585/model/1...

I recommend you contact support and they will replace the cartridges for you in case if the issue is with the cartridges.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.