Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have had problems connecting to my router so I decided to do a full reset of my printer. After starting the setup I ran into a problem. I am stuck on a screen that says "depleted cartridges must be replaced to resume printing". I know my color cartridges are depleted and I have no desire to purchase new ones, I only need to print in black and white. is there anyway to bypass this step? 

Thank you,

Michael

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Mikey55556546 Welcome to HP Community!

The printer is designed to print when the ink is low, but once the ink is completely depleted, the printer will also stop printing. The reason behind this is because the depleted cartridge will damage the printhead of the printer if tried to print.

Also, there is no way of tricking the printer about cartridge being depleted. As far as I understand, the ink level is either measured by using a microchip in the cartridge. 

Step 1: Check from the printer software on a Windows  

Check estimated ink or toner levels for a printer connected to a Windows computer.

1. Turn on the printer and make sure that it is in a ready state and is connected to the computer.

2. Search Windows for HP, and then click your printer name from the list of results. If HP Solution Center displays in the results, click it.

Estimated ink or toner levels display on the home window of the printer software.

If you could not access your ink levels, continue to the next step.

For more assistance, please follow the steps suggested in the support document for - HP Printers - How to Check Ink or Toner Levels

HP Printers - Cannot Print When One of the HP Ink Cartridges is Empty

Hence, please use a new cartridge and check the printer functionality. You can employ the steps I provided in my above message to limit the use of color ink cartridges.

Keep us posted,
If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.