Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 3830
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP OfficeJet 3830 is not printing anything using black ink. For example, If I have an MS Word doc with pictures and text, the pictures print okay, but the rest of the page shows up blank. If I print a PDF form from Acrobat, the form will print, but the typed letters in the form (in place) do not show up at all.

I can make photocopies, but anything black will not show up in the copy.

I've tried two different ink cartridges (all of which are full)

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Printer Drivers/software. I've restarted the computer and did a hard start on the printer (unplugged it entirely before restarting it.

I've cleaned and aligned the cartridges many times.

The HP doctor and other trouble shooting software hs turned up nothing.

I'm using Windows 10. Everything is wireless, and I want it to be this way. However, just to test it, I used a USB cord, nothing changed. Emails, for example, don't print (at least the black text doesn't print, but the Gmail logo does show up).

One time this happened about six months ago (I couldn't print any text, only pictures) and I can't remember what I did to fix the problem, and as I remember, it was something very simple like changing privacy or read/write setting. These settings have not changed.

The printer is set to default.

I still can't print anything black. I tried printing a clip art of a black cat, and only the outline showed. Problem is yet to be fixed.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@EmptyHand

Welcome to HP forums, I see that you are unable to print in black.

Manually clean the area around the ink nozzles

1. Gather the following materials:

• Dry foam-rubber swabs, lint-free cloth, or any soft material that does not come apart or leave fibers (coffee filters work well)

• Distilled, filtered, or bottled water (tap water might contain contaminants that can damage the ink cartridges)

CAUTION:

Do not use platen cleaners or alcohol to clean the ink cartridge contacts. These can damage the ink cartridge or the printer.

2. Turn on the printer.

3. Open the exterior door, and then grasp the handle and lower the ink cartridge access door to open it.

The carriage moves to the center of the printer.

Image: Open the ink cartridge access door

4. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent before you continue.

5. Lightly press down on one of the ink cartridges to release it, and then pull the ink cartridge toward you out of its slot.

Image: Press down to remove the ink cartridge

CAUTION:

Do not remove both ink cartridges at the same time. Remove and clean each ink cartridge one at a time. Do not leave an ink cartridge outside the printer for more than 30 minutes.

6. Hold the ink cartridge by its sides.

Image: Hold the ink cartridge by its sides.

7. Inspect the ink cartridge contacts for ink and debris buildup.

CAUTION:

Do not touch the copper-colored contacts or the ink nozzles. Touching these parts can result in clogs, ink failure, and bad electrical connections.

Image: Do not touch the contacts or nozzles.

8. Lightly moisten a foam-rubber swab or lint-free cloth with distilled water, and then squeeze any excess water from it.

9. Clean the face and edges around the ink nozzle with the swab.

Image: The ink nozzle and ink cartridge contacts.

Nozzle plate - Do not clean
    2. Area surrounding ink nozzle - Do clean

3. Ink cartridge contacts - Do not clean

10. Either let the ink cartridge sit for 10 minutes to allow the cleaned area to dry, or use a new swab to dry it.

11. Slide each ink cartridge at a slight upward angle into the empty slot, and then gently push up on each ink cartridge until it locks into place.

Image: Push the ink cartridge into its slot until it locks into place.

12. Repeat these steps to clean around the nozzles on the other ink cartridge.

13. Close the ink cartridge access door.

14. Reconnect the power cord, and then turn on the printer.

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others and please give the same post a Kudos.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Thanks so much for the suggestion. I did all of the steps above as mentioned but nothing has changed.
HP Recommended

@EmptyHand

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

I am sending you a private messages. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HI, I have the same issue happened to me, I tried cleaning the cartridge as instructed but the black cartridge is still printing bad, I really don't know what to do.

HP Recommended

I am having the same issues with my HP 3830.  It is not printing black and faintly printing color.  This is a relatively new printer and it is being used very infrequently.  It has had poor printing issues since I bought it.  I am using HP ink, and the ink levels are fine.  I have looked through the menus and see no way to perform a head cleaning task.  I am at a loss.  I also do not really understand how this forum works ???

HP Recommended

@DanS88,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support community!

Let's try these steps:

Step 1: Perform a Power Reset.

• Make sure this printer is plugged into a direct wall, not a surge protector.
  • Turn the printer on.
  • Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
  • Remove all of your ink cartridges from the printer and close the door.
  • With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  • Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  • Wait at least 60 seconds.
  • Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  • Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  • Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on. The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.
  • Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.
  • Reinsert the ink cartridges, and then close the ink cartridge access door.
  • If the issue persists, proceed to the next step.

Step 2: Clean the cartridge manually and reseat the cartridge.

• Gather the following materials:
    • Dry foam rubber swabs, lint-free cloth, or any soft material that does not come apart or leave fibers (coffee filters work well)
    • Distilled, filtered, or bottled water (tap water might contain contaminants that can damage the cartridges)
  • Press the Power button to turn on the printer, if it is not already on.
  • Open the cartridge access door.       
  • The Door Open screen displays on the printer control panel with the message, 'The cover or door must be closed to print. Check that it is completely closed.'
  • A Change Ink option also displays on the bottom right corner of the touchscreen. You do not need to select this option at this time.

• Hold the cartridge by its sides.

• Lightly moisten a foam-rubber swab or lint-free cloth with distilled water, and then squeeze any excess water from it.
  • Clean only the copper-colored contacts on the cartridge, and then allow the cartridge to dry for about 10 minutes.

1. Copper-colored contacts
  2. Ink nozzles (do not clean)
  • Re-insert the ink cartridges and close the cartridge access door.
  • Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  • Try to print/copy.
  • If the issue persists, proceed to the next step.

Step 3: Perform automated cleaning of the ink cartridges.

• Load plain paper into the input tray.
  • On the printer control panel, swipe the display to the left, and then touch Setup.
  • Touch Tools, and then touch Clean Cartridges.
  • The printer performs the automated cleaning process and then prints a Print Quality Diagnostic page.
    • If the print quality is acceptable, you can stop troubleshooting.
    • If the print quality is unacceptable, touch OK for a Second-level Cleaning when prompted to continue the next level of cleaning.
    • perform up to 3 cycles of cleaning if the quality is unacceptable.
  • Try to print again.

Let me know if this information helps. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “KudosThumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping.

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried all of these steps and the black is still not printing. This has happened also with my HP Photosmart 6520 printer.  We purchased new ink cartridges for both printers within the last seven days and that did not solve the problem.  Each printer shows that the ink levels are high almost to the top.  The HP OfficeJet 3830 uses Ink Cartridge 63 and the HP Photosmart 6520 Printer uses 564 (we bought the combo pack). Both of these are quite expensive. 

HP Recommended

@Willie3791,

If you have followed all the steps suggested in the thread then I recommend you contact support to further diagnose the issue.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My printer is set up but it will not print.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.