Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 3830
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a new 64 bit Windows 10 desktop computer and I've installed the official full version of the 3830 drivers from HP's website, and I do not have any options to print in color.  No option to change from black and white to color.  The option does not exist.  I've removed the printer.  Cleaned all the drivers out from printui.exe /s..... everything.  No option to print in color.  Other comptuers on the home network have the option to print in color, but not this new machine.  What's wrong with HP's drivers and how do I fix it without throwing away a working printer?  HP wants me to pay them money to call them for help, so I'll just buy another brand printer if this won't work.  Capture.PNG

41 REPLIES 41
HP Recommended

@Corners

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

• Which application are you trying to print from?
  • Have you tried to print from a different application like word, PDF files, from a browser?

Running the HP diagnostic tool and updating windows may resolve this issue. Let us try these steps:

Step 1: Run the HP Print and Scan Doctor

• Download and run HP Print and Scan Doctorhttps://support.hp.com/doc-images/966/c03286133.jpg to automatically diagnose and resolve printer issues.
  • After the Print and Scan Doctor opens, click Fix Printing to test your printer, and then follow any instructions to resolve the issue.
  • Try to print.

Step 2: Update windows

• Select the Start button, and then go to Settings  > Update & Security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.
  • Once updates are installed if available, restart your computer.

Step 3: Try to print.

Step 4: Root uninstallation of pre-installed drivers (If the above steps did not help, let us try to reinstall the updated HP drivers again by following these steps)

uninstall the drivers from the root level and then reinstall them back by following the below steps:

• In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on the Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.
  • Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers.
  • You may download and install the HP Full-featured drivers from this link.
  • Try to print.

Let me know how this goes.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

As posted, the option is not available in the printer settings. I appreciate your response, but I ask that you carefully read my post again instead of copy and pasting a canned response. 

HP Recommended

@Corners

• Have you tried all the steps mentioned in the above post that may resolve this issue?
  • Which application are you using to print?
  • Have you tried to print from a different application like word, PDF files or from a browser?

keep me posted for further assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem - I have installed, uninstalled, reset, cleaned, etc., and the PROBLEM IS THE OPTION IS NOT AVAILABLE!  Doesn't matter if I print from pdf word excel or striaght from a screen shot - it WILL NOT give me an option to pick anything - color, black/white, grayscale - it has ALL DISAPPEARED from the printer properties anywhere!

HP Recommended

I have too done all this - it is not working.  

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem - and the canned responses aren't working for me either.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem and over a period of 3 days of trying to get this printer to work completely on my system, I cannot print in color and have no option to print in color. I have uninstalled/re-installed about 100 times. If there is no fix for this I need to return this printer. The canned responses are of no use.

HP Recommended

Did anyone ever get it to print in color?

HP Recommended

No, I returned the printer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.