Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Thanks for getting back to me.

No updates pending (last updates were on 22nd, which was 2 days before the colour printing stopped, and it worked after that update, so I think we can rule that out).
Created a new local user account.  Same issue - only greyscale and the print dialogues have no mention of colour in them.  This is very strange.

HP Recommended

Further to this... in "Apps" as opposed to programs (so, for example Paint 3D and HP Smart), I can see a colour setting.  Whether the "Let the app change my printing preferences" is ticked or not, I can now choose between Colour, Greyscale, Monochrome under "more settings".  Whichever I choose it reverts to "Monochrome", and sometimes (but not always...) reports that it cannot change to Colour due to conflicts with other settings.  It still prints in greyscale.

HP Recommended

And another update...

Windows has now given me a new update which is intalled.
I have tried disabling all non-microsoft services and printing from a clean boot with no other software running.
Neither helped - still grey.  
Can also print from phone to printer and that works with proper colour.

HP Recommended

@PatParslow,

I think this issue needs some additional technical assistance that can be better provided through one-on-one interaction with our HP Support team.

I request you to contact them for further support.

Click on this Link to contact HP.

Cheers!

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yeah, your recommendations did nothing for me. The printer was able to print out in color when it printed the Alignment sheet. 

However, I don't have access to a colour option in Printer Properties. Heck, I can't even find the greyscale option to see if it's enabled.

HP Recommended

hanks Atharva, but that link takes me to a support page which gives the option of using the automated chat bot (who knows nothing...), community support (well, we are here already), and no apparent way of finding any human contact other than this... does the HP Support Team really even exist, or are they just really shy and well hidden?!

HP Recommended

Solution: (not provided by HP, and rather annoying, but nevertheless, the printer now prints in Colour from Windows...)

Picked up from https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Software-and-Drivers/Printer-will-only-print-in-monochrome/m-p... thanks to @RogerR

Uninstall HPSmart (this may cause problems seeing ink status later, though?)
Remove printer in Settings panel
Add printer.
Printer now prints in colour.

So it would seem likely that HPSmart is, in some  way, interfering with the print settings.

HP Recommended

Ok, I unplugged and restarted the printer and the wireless. Then I uninstalled everything HP printer and went to command prompt and got rid of the drivers. I checked everything. I reinstalled the printer. I reinstalled the HP software. I gave up and put in a new color ink. (What a waste) OK. WHY WOULD I HAVE TO CREATE A NEW USER ACCOUNT? This does not make sense to me. This printer is fairly new. 

HP Recommended

Same as OrcyOrca-- still can't print in color.

Current inclination after working on this several weeks is to toss it out the window, but then would have to get the window fixed. Why is this such a seemingly common problem??? is it the printer or the laptop???

I've tried talking with techs on the phone-- last one said he had to talk to his supervisor and would call me back. He never did.

2 of the "chat" people quit talking without offering any solutions.

HP Recommended

@Jean81

I understand your concerns and frustration

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.