Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Using windows 10

HP Recommended

This is the answer. I've been fighting this for a while now, and wasted way more than 4 pages.

The solution is to just remove the printer device, and then re-add it through the windows10 devices->printers & scanners

Then do NOT go and re-install the drivers or the printer software. If you do this it's broken again.

I kept assuming that re-installing the software after deleting the device would be the clean way to do a re-install. But instead, you just have to delete the device from windows, and then re-add it. Maybe it has something to do with which drivers it's selecting based on the order you do things.

HP Recommended

@Jm58

Hi! I've had this issue twice now.  I reinstalled the drivers the first time and it work.  Now this piece of crap is acting up again and I can't print in color.   You mentioned just removing the print from Devices?  And then just readding it? Does this work?

HP Recommended

JeffreyCox you ROCK!  I've been battling this won't-print-in-color (among several other issues with this printer) and had just re-installed the printer on Monday, so I was by no means going to deal with that again, but I followed your VERY simple instructions to use Windows10 functionality by going to Start -> Printers & scanners, then I chose the hp 3830, clicked "Remove Device", then clicked the button/link to "add a device", and chose the printer again, VIOLA!  COLOR PRINTING!  PHEW!  The whole thing took maybe 90 seconds. 

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  This was soooooo much more helpful than the typical support team response (power down, unplug from wall, uninstall, reinstall, blah blah blah . . . total CRAP which never fixes anything.)  THANKS AGAIN!!!

HP Recommended

I tried removing the printer, then readding it from settings.  I still don't see where I can print in color.  Please see screenshot attached.  There is no color option.

HP Printer.png

HP Recommended

Im running windows 10 Ann's can't get printer to print colorful photos.  I can't change the paper size.  Ive tried everything

HP Recommended

Any ideas for printing from a galaxy note 1p?

HP Recommended

The driver installed didn't work on windows computer and that's no help for printing from my galaxy 10

HP Recommended

How are there multiple complaints about this problem yet there hasn't been a real solution to this. TF

HP Recommended

I have been dealing with this going on day two of unstalling and reinstalling BS. I know this printer can print in color, I'm not sure what's causing it not to print in color from the windows side. It's super frustrating I've talked to two customer service reps who couldn't help at all. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.