Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Thank you! I did your work around by getting rid of HP Smart. I even have an HP laptop. 

HP Recommended

I did what Pat suggested from above. Uninstalled the HP Smart app. Uninstalled printer. Then reinstalled printer not using HP Smart. Color printing from my phone and ipad worked fine. HP smart was doing something. Love my HP printer and laptop. 😊

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with my printer Hp OfficeJet 3830... It looks like this is a common problem with this printer. 

HP Recommended

Hey, I've got the same issue as everyone else in this thread and I have tried every single troubleshooting step in here to no avail. Prints a fine color test page from the printer itself, zero color options in any windows program.

HP Recommended

If you have the smart app on your computer delete it and then set up your printer without it. For some reason it has something to do with that app. I did not have it on my phone and ipad  Printed fine  Only difference was the app. Someone suggested that in an earlier solution. Works fine now  

HP Recommended

If you have the HP Smart App loaded. That seems to be it  I did not have it on my phone or ipad  But did on my laptop  Someone suggested to delete the app and set up your printer without it. Now it all works fine. 

HP Recommended

I also tried uninstalling the HP Smart App, that did not help.

HP Recommended

You have to also completely uninstall the printer as if it was never there. Then reinstall the printer like you did when you got it. Just do not add HP Smart App. That was the one thing I did not do  When I redid the printer as a new one without HP Smart. Then it was fine.  Hope that works. 😊

HP Recommended

Unfortunately I have tried every permutation of this. The only way to get color to print on this thing is on my girlfriend's laptop that hasn't been turned on in over a year and so has no Windows 10 updates. 

HP Recommended

This problem happened to me yesterday, and I looked at the many complicated steps that were suggested by the HP Technician, and I wanted to throw up and pass out.  So, I tried something different and it WORKED!  Here's what I did:  I clicked the "Start" button in the lower left-hand corner of my computer, clicked on "Devices and Printers," clicked on the printer (HP Officejet 3830 Series), and clicked on "Remove Device."   Then, I went to the PRINTER itself, opened the screen on the front left side and finger-scrolled across to "Set Up," clicked on it, then finger-scrolled down to "Wireless Set Up Wizard," and clicked on it.  There may have been a few prompts after that, but within a few minutes the printer was automatically re-installed on my computer and was printing in color once again!  This worked for me and I hope it works for you!  The HP 3830 is currently on sale nation wide for half-price at many retailers, and this may be one of the reasons.  Good Luck to you!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.