Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 4650
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Whenever I try to print a color document (Word or PDF) in the printer preferences there isn't any way to pick color printing. All my printed documents are black and white. The test documents from HP Assistant come out in color so I know the printer can print in color, but there is no way to choose either black and white, grayscale or color. Please help.

Dru

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@druphillippe

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out!

As I understand the color options under printer settings are missing, you've reached the lost & found, we've hired the best detective to find it for you, in fact, he's given the below questions to identify what else you've done and the steps to fix this too:

• Did you reinstall the drivers/software from root level to avoid the issue?
  • Have you considered using the Windows built-in drivers?

While you respond to that, here's what I recommend you do:

I recommend you delete the driver at the root level and retry, follow the steps below: 

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

2.) Select your HP Printer 

3.) Select Uninstall 

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose `Delete' or `Remove Device' 

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo. 

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between "printui.exe" and "/s") 

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab 

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 

10.) Select Ok 

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 

12.) Close Devices and Printers 

Then, use this link to find the drivers compatible with your windows and install it: https://hp.care/2B3MVQS

If the issue persists, please go ahead and install the windows built-in drivers: 

If a full feature driver from HP is not available for your printer, you must install the built-in print driver. A full feature driver for one or more Windows versions is not available for your printer, either from the CD that shipped with your printer or from the HP website.

NOTE:

Where is the download button? The HP print driver is built into the Windows operating system or is installed through the Windows Update feature on your computer. You do not need to download anything from a website in order to print, scan, or fax.

See the Frequently asked questions in this document for additional information, including how to scan using this driver.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: https://hp.care/2igKeU1

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

@druphillippe

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out!

As I understand the color options under printer settings are missing, you've reached the lost & found, we've hired the best detective to find it for you, in fact, he's given the below questions to identify what else you've done and the steps to fix this too:

• Did you reinstall the drivers/software from root level to avoid the issue?
  • Have you considered using the Windows built-in drivers?

While you respond to that, here's what I recommend you do:

I recommend you delete the driver at the root level and retry, follow the steps below: 

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

2.) Select your HP Printer 

3.) Select Uninstall 

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose `Delete' or `Remove Device' 

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo. 

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between "printui.exe" and "/s") 

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab 

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 

10.) Select Ok 

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 

12.) Close Devices and Printers 

Then, use this link to find the drivers compatible with your windows and install it: https://hp.care/2B3MVQS

If the issue persists, please go ahead and install the windows built-in drivers: 

If a full feature driver from HP is not available for your printer, you must install the built-in print driver. A full feature driver for one or more Windows versions is not available for your printer, either from the CD that shipped with your printer or from the HP website.

NOTE:

Where is the download button? The HP print driver is built into the Windows operating system or is installed through the Windows Update feature on your computer. You do not need to download anything from a website in order to print, scan, or fax.

See the Frequently asked questions in this document for additional information, including how to scan using this driver.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: https://hp.care/2igKeU1

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have reinstalled the printer software from online, but it didn't fix the problem so I thought I would reinstall from the CD. I don't know how to install anything from the root. I simply am not that savvy with computers. I wish I had someone like you sitting with me to show my, but I will simply do my best. Thank you for your advice. I will keep trying. 

Dru

HP Recommended

Great news! I took a chance, performed all the steps and reinstalled the printer software using the CD from HP and when I printed a color document, it was in color. SUCCESS!!! Thank you so much for the guidance and solution. I am beyond overjoyed!!!!!

Dru

HP Recommended

@druphillippe

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts, 

I'm glad I could contribute towards identifying and leading you towards the solution for this concern.

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know that you accept my suggestions,

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a ...

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have no idea where the CD is that came with the computer. Is there any other way to get my printer to print in color in Windows? Why is this so difficult, works fine from the Mac.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for these instructions. I had to go through the process twice because, the first time, I didn't know whether to remove every single HP thing from my Programs and Features list. When I did do that the second time, the 'no colour' option was fixed!

Your instructions were easy to follow. 

HP Recommended

These instructions didn't do it for me. But this did, first try: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Software-and-Drivers/HP-Officejet-4650-Won-t-print-in-color/m-... 

HP Recommended

Reinstalling from the CD worked for me too!!  I have wasted hours trying to solve this issue!  Haven't been able to print in color off my desktop all year....

HP Recommended

I followed the steps you noted and I was so excited to see color in my document again but, then I printed another document and no color and got the same error message when I tried to get into the preferences. I can't keep going through all these steps every time I want to print in color. Is it a hardware issue? Do I need a new printer?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.