Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

@Sdutcher1037 Greetings from the HP Community!

Note: Please ensure the complete product name/number for a quicker response from the community, as we need to know what we are dealing with to provide an accurate solution: 

Click here for steps on finding the information we need!

Remember: Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

Meanwhile, Check if the copier works as a stand-alone device,

If it does, try the below steps:

Press "Windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window.

Type "services.msc" to get Services - Go to "Print spooler" - Right-click and "Stop" the service.

Now again open "Run" - Type "spool" and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.

Go to services again - Start the print spooler.

Now check for issue resolution.

If the issue persists, unplug the USB cable from the printer (if present). 

Go to Control panel - Programs and feature - Select all the HP printer entries and uninstall them.

Now go to Control panel - Devices and printer - Select all the printer entries and remove the device.

Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.

Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.

Again, go to the Run window, type - "c:/programdata" - Go to the Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

Restart your computer.

Then, use this link to access the HP website, find the drivers compatible with your windows and install it: Click here

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same problem, re-installed HP Officejet 4650, there has no choice for color at all. I have done everything as mentioned above. Few days ago, I have re-formatted my laptop, re-installed Windows 10 Home, and re-installed HP Officejet 4650, still, there has no choice for me to choose color print. Help!

HP Recommended

@ccpyue To confirm, in your case, does the copier work fine, as a stand-alone device? Also, are you able to print a test page to check if that works fine, try the below steps to print a test/diagnostic page:

Print a Print Quality Diagnostic report from the printer control panel, then evaluate the results.

1. Make sure to load the input tray with plain, white paper.

2. On the printer control panel, swipe the display to the left, and then touch Setup.

3. Touch Tools.

4. Swipe up on the display, and then touch Print Quality Report.

A Print Quality Diagnostic report prints.

Image: Example of the Print Quality Diagnostic Page

5. Keep the Print Quality Diagnostic report for easy reference later in this document.

Get back to me with the results.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
My HP OfficeJet 4650 is setting up in order as above mentioned. I also installed the HP App. Using HP App test printed, and the color comes out normal. But when I tried to use the HP App to print a photo, cannot print, message: "Error printing on HPAFE77F (HP OfficeJet 4650 series) The printer couldn't print Simple photo print". But when I open photo and use itself's print command, the Color choice is missing from the Print Preference.

HP Recommended

@ccpyue

Thanks for replying!

I would suggest you try the Windows built-in drivers. Follow the steps below:

•    Go to Control Panel - Devices and printers - Click on "Add printer" and follow the on-screen instructions.

•    When the page prompts for the drivers, select "Windows update". The driver list will be updated.

•    Click HP, Hewlett Packard, or Hewlett-Packard in the Manufacturer pane, and then click the name of your printer in the Printers pane.

Refer to this document HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver for help.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you so,,,much. It is working now, can print color.

Now the second thing is how can I install HP Officejet 4650 Scanner software? because in the past, I always install that together with the printer driver. if I did this again, it may change my printer driver and then it may not print color again!?

HP Recommended

@ccpyue

Glad to know that the issue is resolved. You can refer to the document HP Printers - How to Scan (Windows) to learn different methods of scanning.

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

You are so helpful. Thanks again, and hope this can help other users who have the similar problem.

HP Recommended

@ccpyue

Happy to have helped 🙂

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.