Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 5252
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When my printer is powered on, the progress bar on the screen fills up, and then the printer freezes and does nothing. It remains stuck on the initializing screen. Is there some way to get the printer to initialize and enter an idle state? Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@RicarRodriguez,

Thank you for replying,

As I understand you have tried to follow the steps suggested and unfortunately nothing has helped to resolve this issue. 

In this scenario, I would suggest you contact our HP phone support for further assistance.

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp

They will be happy to assist you immediately. 

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@RicarRodriguez,

Welcome to HP Support Forums!

I see from your post that you're having issues with the printer stuck on initializing screen. Don't worry we'll work together to help you find a solution.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you recently made any changes on the printer before the issue started?

How is the printer connected? USB/Wireless

Have you tried to perform an update on the printer?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Let's start off by updating the printer firmware. If your printer connected wirelessly, make sure to temporary connect the device with USB and then follow the link to install the latest firmware update on your printer from our HP support website, using this link. Once done, restart the printer. For more details on how to update, please use this link: HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

If the issue persists, I would suggest here is to do a hard reset on the printer and make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, Jeet, thanks for helping. I did the hard reset as you suggested, but the problem persists. I also connected the printer via USB and tried the firmware update, but the printer isn't recognized from the PC, so I can't do the update. And yes, there was a change made to the printer before the issue started. The printer was working fine before, connected via WiFi. Then I switched it over to a new WiFi network, and the printer still worked fine. But after that new WiFi network was gone, the printer no longer initializes. When the printer is powered on, the progress bar on the screen fills, and then it just stays stuck like this:

HP OfficeJet 5252 Does Not Initialize.jpg

Is there anything else I can do? Thank you.

HP Recommended

@RicarRodriguez,

Thank you for replying,

As I understand you have tried to follow the steps suggested and unfortunately nothing has helped to resolve this issue. 

In this scenario, I would suggest you contact our HP phone support for further assistance.

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp

They will be happy to assist you immediately. 

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.