Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

OfficeJet 6950, printed fine a few days ago. Today I sent a  print job to this wireless printer and it did not print. The message on the 6950 was to look for a paper jam. Did that, no jam. Then the next message said the printer was not shut down properly. I cancelled the printing job from my Windows 7 laptop. I then opened the top of the printer to expose the cartridge/carriage tray. Doing that normally will bring the carriage tray to the middle of the space, however this time it stayed on the right side and I could not move it at all. After searching Google I managed to be able to move the carriage to the middle manuallly by turning the printer on while the lid was open and when the carriage tried to move, I manually managed to move it to the middle. I replaced the ink cartridges to make sure that was not the issue. At the end, after going through all the paper jam/did  not shut down properly note, the last message was there was a printer failure with an error code. I followed ALL the step suggested in other messages here (power reset, off/on, etc) to no avail.

(Two nights ago, we had a power outage to my house, no flashes, just the power went out and 7 hours later it turned on. Not sure if this could have affected the printer, all my other devices in my home are ok)

Looking for insighr before I have to buy a new printer, repairing this will cst me more tha I paid for it.

Thanks for any help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@bbildman

• If you have performed all the troubleshooting steps from this document and the issue still persists, please contact our HP Support team for Service Options as it could be a possible hardware issue:

1) Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Select the appropriate option based on your preference.

6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

​​​​​​​

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@bbildman

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Power resetting the printer, updating the printer firmware may resolve this issue. Let us try these steps:

Step 1: Reset the printer

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

2. Wait at least 60 seconds.

3. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

4. Turn ON the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

5. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Note: HP recommends connecting the printer directly to a wall outlet rather than a surge protector or a power strip.

Step 2: Update the printer firmware

Click here to download and install the latest firmware from your computer.

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

If the above steps do not help, let us perform a factory reset on the printer.

• The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may corrupt the device.
  • I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer.
  • In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Let me know how this goes.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Kumar0307,

I did everything you told me to. Power  reset, updating firmware (already up to date).

As to your private message, I did the  Semi-Full Reset, as you told me to. The printer powered off, I turned it back on, it asked me for language, country, time, date etc. Then told me to make make sure there is no papers jam & sure I had paper in the tray, then I tapped  "Continue Setup", soon after that I get the same screen telling me that there is a printer failure,  to contact HP.

No matter at which point, if I raise the cover, the carriage does NOT move to the middle of the printer.

Any othr suggestions? (I appreciate the time you are spending on this. Thanks

HP Recommended

@bbildman

• If you have performed all the troubleshooting steps from this document and the issue still persists, please contact our HP Support team for Service Options as it could be a possible hardware issue:

1) Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Select the appropriate option based on your preference.

6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

​​​​​​​

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Kumar0307, thanks for the help. Looks  like this one is headed for the Good Will store.  I have opted to get rid of this one, though it served me well for over 2 years. I have decided to get a Canon TS6120 that was on sale for around $40 at Amazon.

Thanks again

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.