Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 6962
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I recently setup my HP OfficeJet 6962 again after several months of it not being used. It took an update as soon as I turned it on. After a lot of printhead cleaning, the colour inks were working fine but the black ink did absolutely nothing. I had a back up 902 black instant ink cartridge, so I replaced it and tried again. I have done many printhead cleans and alignments, still no black ink, not even a faint trace of it. I followed the instructions on the HP support site in regards to inks not working and still nothing. I have uninstalled and reinstalled everything on my computer several times now and the diagnostics keeps saying there is a driver conflict regardless of what I do. I have also gone into my printer settings on my computer and ensured that absolutely ALL printer drivers are removed prior to reinstallation. I have restored the printer to factory default twice as well. The printer itself is only two years old, but is now out of warranty. I have wasted a lot of colour ink in trying to resolve this and cannot find anything else specific to JUST black ink not working. Is there anything else I can try? I do not want to replace this fairly new printer that has gotten very little use.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi! @DodgeTheHammer

Does the issue persist when you make a copy from your printer?

Have you tried printing from a different application?

Have you tried printing using a different ink cartridge?

Check the ink level on your printer and replace the low ink cartridge.

Try the steps recommended below.

Print a Print Quality Diagnostic Page, and then evaluate the results.

1. Load plain white paper in the input tray.

2. From the printer control panel, open the Setup  menu.

3. Open the Reports or Tools menu.

4. Touch Print Quality Report.

A Print Quality Diagnostic Page prints.

Example of the Print Quality Diagnostic Page

Also, to solve the driver issue uninstall the printer software from the root level and install the full feature printer software.

In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features. 
Select your HP printer. 
Select Uninstall. 
In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers. 
In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.” 
Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo. 
Type printui.exe /s and click OK. 
Click on Drivers tab. 
Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click remove at the bottom. 
Select OK. 
Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows. 
Close Devices and Printers. 

Update the full feature printer software using this link. Click Here

Refer this article to know more information about color or black ink not printing issues. Click Here

Let me know if this helps!

Have a beautiful day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Black ink also does not work when copying. I have tried printing from my phone as well. My previous ink cartridge was low, but still would have had enough ink to print something so the new cartridge didn't help. The diagnostics page doesn't show anything other than the colour blocks as no black ink will print for anything. As for the driver issue, I have followed those exact steps 3 times before and they have not resolved anything, it still says driver conflict when I reinstall. The article that was provided I have also followed a few times but does not help. Is there anything else?

HP Recommended

Hi! @DodgeTheHam,

Thanks for the update.

It certainly sounds like a printer hardware issue.

Please contact HP support for service options.

Contact HP support using this link. Click Here

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
I see this problem is widespread. My HP 6962, purchased 05/20/19, will not print black ink. I have run diagnostics. Made sure HP software is up to date. I have done the 3 levels of clean a couple times. I have ran alignment page but you cannot complete because it won't print in black to align on scanner bed. I have tested with two different new HP 902 original black inks (I had assumed maybe a new cartridge was maybe bad). I replaced all cartridges. I have followed instructions of HP virtual assistant (which basically told me to do what I had already had done). The weird thing is if I do a print screen it will print black. But, if I try to print an email, word document, powerpoint slide, it won't print in black nor do any HP diagnostic pages. Now that is strange. I have seen tips by other users to either clean the electrical contacts with distilled water or remove the carriage for the print cartridges and flush heads of carriage under hot water. Before I do this I would like to know what is exactly the right thing to do. I have already invested enough time that exceeds the cost of the printer and the cartridges I am wasting testing. This is obviously a manufacturing defect of some kind. So please give us all the straight scoop on how to simply correct this problem or how to return for a replacement printer. Thank you.
HP Recommended

Hi @GAN56Finn1

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Asmita,

Thank you for your reply.  Because I was down 2 days I had to go ahead and purchase another printer.  I will hold onto the HP 6962 for another week or two to see if I do hear from HP support team.  If there is a quick resolution beyond what I have done I will keep the HP 6962.  If not, I will dispose of it and the unused HP 902 ink cartridges I have.  

I will watch for private message from HP contact.  Thank you.

GAN56Finn1 

HP Recommended

Please message me as well for the solution regarding the subject

HP Recommended

Was the issue resolved?  is there a fix for this issue?  Thanks!

HP Recommended

My hp 6962 quit printing black ink as well. I believe I purchased this printer in February of 2018. It was working fine last Thursday. I have done a lot of print head cleaning and still won’t print. I haven’t had any issues with this printer until last Sunday it wouldn’t print. Please let me know what to do? Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.