Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 6970
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The printer dont work with nonHPcartridges. I know, the problem is not new. [edit]

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @biobuur

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the firmware update.

You may download and install the firmware update from this link. This update disables dynamic security for printers manufactured before December 1, 2016. For printers manufactured on December 1, 2016 or later, dynamic security remains functional with this update.

Please refer to this document to know more - HP Inkjet Printers - Dynamic Security Feature Affecting Cartridges Using Non-HP Security Chip 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This link provided does not work.

The error: The requested URL /pub/softlib/software13/printers/ojp6970/1910a/OJP6970_1910A.exe was not found on this server.

On the HP OfficeJet 6970 support page, it conveniently does not display prior firmware versions for PC/Windows; however for MacOS it does show the 1910A firmware from April 2019 which I have downloaded.  Unfortunately, when I run the Firmware updater, it states there is no firmware update available.

HOW CAN ONE DOWNGRADE THE FIRMWARE VERSION?

I would like to know WHY has HP done this again?  It's very suspicious that the updated firmware works with current non-HP ink already installed, but once you replace the (non-HP) cartridges with a new non-HP cartridge, one receives the "Cartridge Problem" error.  This is clearly to flatten the complaint curve so there isn't an immediate revolt as there was in 2016.  This is unfair, if not illegal practices.  I have been a loyal HP customer at home AND for work for over 20 years.  

HP, you just lost me.

HP Recommended

@Jeff_Rogers

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Quote Jeff Rogers: "

I would like to know WHY has HP done this again?  It's very suspicious that the updated firmware works with current non-HP ink already installed, but once you replace the (non-HP) cartridges with a new non-HP cartridge, one receives the "Cartridge Problem" error.  This is clearly to flatten the complaint curve so there isn't an immediate revolt as there was in 2016.  This is unfair, if not illegal practices.  I have been a loyal HP customer at home AND for work for over 20 years".  

I have exactly the same problem! The purchase of a HP Product is useless under this circumstances! To throw away the HP printer is the cheaper and the better option.

HP Recommended

Hello,

I have the same problem, but I think, that HP must have an interest to solve this problem to win new or old clients. If not, who wants to buy anything from HP in future ??? And  why they risk a **bleep**storm ???? Only they know ...

HP Recommended

Hi @ToniWoll

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

We are here to support you. Some non-HP branded cartridges are not working on HP OfficeJet or OfficeJet Pro printers.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi there, I have the same issue and, even more, I've bought original HP cartridges, put them in, and now black ink is not working. No error messages, ink level reported ok, but just no black on paper. Everything was fine before I tried to swap cartridges with non-official ones, so I'm pretty sure it's a firmware-related issue.

What can I do?

HP Recommended

Hi @matro

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.

The firmware on this model printer cannot be downgraded. Kindly perform steps 2 and 9 from this document to resolve this issue.

For more info regarding this issue, refer to this document.

If the issue persists, please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your printer. 

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

HP OfficeJet Printers - 'Incompatible' or 'Defective Cartridge' message 

HP Officejet 6950/6960/Pro 6960/Pro 6970 All-in-One Printer series Firmware Update

001.2247A 26.2 MB Dec 12, 2022 Download

Reset the printer

Reset the printer to recover from printer errors or failures.

1. If your printer has a rechargeable battery, remove it.

2. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the printer.

3. Unplug the power cord from the power source.

4. Wait 60 seconds.

5. Reconnect the power cord to a wall outlet and to the printer.

NOTE: HP recommends plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.
  6. Turn on the printer to complete the reset.

JessikaV
HP Support Community Administrator

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.