Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Desktop PC 570
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

my HP Instant Ink  black ink cartridge is empty but system says its 1/2 full. I've tried all the on line help ,nothing works. HELP!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi! @pennman1,

Thanks for writing back to us.

HP Instant Ink monitors your ink cartridge levels so replacement ink cartridges can be sent to you when you need them. When your printer is not connected to the Internet for an extended period of time, monitoring is interrupted, and one of the following error messages might display on your computer or printer:

• Connect Printer to Update HP Instant Ink Status

• Ink status level can show incorrectly

• If the printer is not connected to HP Connected you will be unable to print soon

• Cannot print - Press OK to connect printer to update status

• Press OK to connect printer so replacement cartridge can be ordered

• Press OK to connect printer to update status

These mean that your printer has lost connection with the Internet. When your printer is disconnected, HP Instant Ink cannot update its status and the Instant Ink cartridges will stop working after a period of time. 
The procedure for connecting a printer to the Internet is a little different for each printer. Try these steps:
Turn the printer off, wait 10 seconds, and then turn the printer back on. It may automatically connect to the Internet.  
Press the Info button on your printer’s front panel to print a page with information about re-connecting.
Go to support.hp.com, enter your printer model number, and search for a document for “printer offline” or “connectivity issues” and follow those instructions.
Once your printer is connected to the Internet, go to Instantink.com and click the link to Sign In, which is located at the top right of the page, or under the 3 horizontal lines if you are on a mobile device.  On your account home page, click the circular arrow in the top right corner of the Status section. Your printer should go from red “offline” to green “online” status.

Lastly, if you still have issues after trying out the steps. Please share us few details through a private message. So I can check the account details and help you with the issue.

Instant ink account number-

Printer email address-

Hope this helps!

You have a good day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi! @pennman1,

Try updating the printer firmware to the latest version and check if it helps.

Update the printer firmware using this link. Click Here

Remove and reinstall the ink cartridges on the printer.

Reset the printer

In some cases, a printer reset can clear the error message.
Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.
Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
Wait at least 60 seconds.
Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.
Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Refer this article to know more information about ink cartridge issues. Click Here

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps. Please share us few details through a private message. So I can check the account details and ship you the replacement ink cartridges.

Instant ink email address-

Shipping address-

Let me know how this works!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

tried all and nothing worked

HP Recommended

Hi! @pennman1,

Thanks for writing back to us.

HP Instant Ink monitors your ink cartridge levels so replacement ink cartridges can be sent to you when you need them. When your printer is not connected to the Internet for an extended period of time, monitoring is interrupted, and one of the following error messages might display on your computer or printer:

• Connect Printer to Update HP Instant Ink Status

• Ink status level can show incorrectly

• If the printer is not connected to HP Connected you will be unable to print soon

• Cannot print - Press OK to connect printer to update status

• Press OK to connect printer so replacement cartridge can be ordered

• Press OK to connect printer to update status

These mean that your printer has lost connection with the Internet. When your printer is disconnected, HP Instant Ink cannot update its status and the Instant Ink cartridges will stop working after a period of time. 
The procedure for connecting a printer to the Internet is a little different for each printer. Try these steps:
Turn the printer off, wait 10 seconds, and then turn the printer back on. It may automatically connect to the Internet.  
Press the Info button on your printer’s front panel to print a page with information about re-connecting.
Go to support.hp.com, enter your printer model number, and search for a document for “printer offline” or “connectivity issues” and follow those instructions.
Once your printer is connected to the Internet, go to Instantink.com and click the link to Sign In, which is located at the top right of the page, or under the 3 horizontal lines if you are on a mobile device.  On your account home page, click the circular arrow in the top right corner of the Status section. Your printer should go from red “offline” to green “online” status.

Lastly, if you still have issues after trying out the steps. Please share us few details through a private message. So I can check the account details and help you with the issue.

Printer email address-

Hope this helps!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.