Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lhmii
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 abruptly stopped printing black ink after 328 total pages printed

HP OfficeJet Pro 6978
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP Officejet Pro 6978, which was purchased approximately 3 years ago for use at our seasonal residence in Florida.  Yesterday, after printing a total of 300 pages during its life, it abruptly stopped printing black ink.  With the help of this community, I have undertaken all the recommended actions with no result, leading me to the conclusion reached a number of places on this board that I have a printer hardware issue.  Obviously, the 1 year manufacturer's warranty has expired.  Factoring in the cost of the printer and the cartridges,  including the new black cartridge installed yesterday as part of seeking a fix, my cost per printed page has been ridiculous.  I have owned many printers over the years, many of them HP products, and I am never completely surprised when they suddenly stop working (planned obsolescence?).  However, I can now confidently award HP for selling me the worst printer ever.  300 total pages!  Wow! 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
6,259 6,246 337 247
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 abruptly stopped printing black ink after 328 total pages printed

@lhmii

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

This situation will need some additional support from our internal teams in HP. For that to happen, we will give you additional instructions/information via Private Message.

Please do check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Momof2Ustudends
2 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Was this problem fixed?  How?

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
6,310 6,297 457 500
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Momof2Ustudends, Welcome to HP Support Community!

If you have already performed the steps from the document Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues and the issue persists, it could be a hardware failure.

Please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your printer.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Momof2Ustudends
2 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I preformed all the steps to fix the problem. Nothing worked. The closest service place is not close and by the time I drive it there to drop off for repair, go back and pick it up after a repair, pay for the repair, I can purchase another printer.  I purchased the same printer for our other student a few years prior and it still works fine. I’m very disappointed with this experience and the printer!

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation