Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 6978
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hopefully "Jamison" can help with this.  My printer was printing fine until I installed new cartridges.  I purchased HP cartridges (inclues 902XL, 902 Cyan, 902 Magenta, 902 Yellow).  Now it only prints in black--no color.  The printer "sees" that the cartridges are full, but nothing!  I tried making a color copy like Jamison suggested, and that too comes out black.  I spent hours working on this problem to no avail.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello,

Please click HERE to access the steps that should resolve the issue .

Regards,
Jabzi

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .

Click "Accept as Solution" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
HP Recommended

I've done all the things you suggest in your post, yet nothing!  The printer was barely used, first new cartridges after the ones you get when you buy it.  Now it has turned into a doorstop!  Do you have any other solution?

HP Recommended

I was having exact same problem, tried everything, nothing worked.  Here is what finally worked for me. 

Take out your three color ink cartridges one at a time.  hold the cartridge over a paper towel and blow forcefully ( put the cartridge vent on top in your mouth) into the cartridge to cause ink to dribble out of the bottom of the cartridge where it feeds the ink nozzle on the printer.  DONT wipe off the ink coming out, insert it wet back into the printer cartridge slot. do this for each of the three color cartridges.

after done go into your settings and under maintenence clean your print heads.  the first time i cleaned the test page was all black ink...clean it again. the second cleaning some color started to appear on the test page. keep going as many times as necessary till the test print is satisfactory. 

i hope this helps. i recycled a printer for the office that was sitting in a closet for almost two years.  the ink cartridges had dried up and im assuming the heads clogged pretty bad. black worked perfectly though so assumed it was some other problem.  in the end it was clogged heads it seems they just needed a little priming with excess ink to get started. 

i know this post is dated but hopefully helps others that may still be using one of these printers.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.