Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8610
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

I have an OfficeJet Pro 8610, it's about 3-1/2 years old.  It has always worked well until now.

I recently replaced the black ink cartridge (HP 950XL), but the new cartridge gives an "Incompatible Ink Cartridges" error.  I went through all the troubleshooting steps on the associated HP support page (removing and reseating the cartridge a few times, cleaning the electrical contacts, powering down the printer for a minute and rebooting it, checking that the firmware is up to date).  I even bought a second new cartridge and tried that, but it gives the same error.  Both cartridges are HP original bought from reputable sellers (one from Amazon, one from my local Costco).

I don't think this is a regionalization issue, since the printer was purchased in the US and I'm using the same cartridge model from the same sources as I have in the past.

I also don't think this is a problem with the electrical contacts, since if I put the old cartridge back in it works.  (The printer recognizes the old 950XL cartridge, tells me it is a previously used cartridge, asks me if I want to try to use it even though it might be empty, then tries to pump ink from the cartridge eventually deciding that it really is empty and telling me it's no-go).

I do remember some months ago that the printer updated its firmware, and this is probably the first time I've changed an ink cartridge at that time.  So I'm wondering if something in the new firmware is preventing new cartridges from being recognized.

The old cartridge says "950XL - CN045AE".

The new cartridge says "950XL - CN045AN".

Please let me know if you have any ideas on how to solve this.  My printer is essentially dead, since it won't take new cartridges.  Thanks in advance for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Follow these steps to dispute due to "Issue with my accessories, supplies and/or software", be sure to clearly describe that you would need a pen regionalization.

Be sure to have a Full Set of genuine and in warranty Z10 HP Black, Magenta, Cyan and Yellow cartridges in hand and clearly describe you are located in the US, as well a computer is required to reset the printer, once your details are verified you will get a case number and the contact details to call HP Support in the US:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05084516

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Ah, I think I found the problem (from an older post) - It seems my previous 950XL cartridge says 'z20' on it, so it is a regionalization issue.  (There is a separate post in this forum that notes that if you put a 'z20' cartridge into a US printer, it will become locked to Europe and won't take US 'z10' cartridges anymore.  I didn't recognize this problem at first since I had no idea I had inadvertantly bought a non-US cartridge...  Good thing to read the fine print).

So my problem is a regionalization lock, and I apparently need to 'Request a Regionalization Reset from HP'.  How do I do that?  I followed the link provided in the other post, but it just brings me through the regular support page, takes my serial number, determines that my warranty has expired, and then tells me to go through the Community forums.  (So I'm back here!)  I didn't see any way to talk to a human tech.

How can I contact HP directly to get the regionalization reset?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Follow these steps to dispute due to "Issue with my accessories, supplies and/or software", be sure to clearly describe that you would need a pen regionalization.

Be sure to have a Full Set of genuine and in warranty Z10 HP Black, Magenta, Cyan and Yellow cartridges in hand and clearly describe you are located in the US, as well a computer is required to reset the printer, once your details are verified you will get a case number and the contact details to call HP Support in the US:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05084516

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thank you, Shlomi!  I followed those steps, and will wait for contact from HP support.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.