Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Dell Inspiron 15 Series 3000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP 8610 Officejet printer and I recently received a replacement 950XL Z10 Black cartridge and the printer indicates "incompatible ink cartridge". My son installed the cartridge in his HP 8600 printer and it works fine.  I have viewed posts on this forum and it seems that this issue has been created due to HP initiating a regional cartridge roll-out in early 2017 requiring Z10 series cartridges for US/Canada printers. I had this same dissue about a year ago when replacing a Magenta cartridge and wound up having my empty cartridge refilled at Costco as a work around to getting my printer working again. Now I am attempting to install a genuine Black 950XL Z10 cartridge and am having the same issue. However, our local Costco has ceased refilling cartridges and now refilling is not a viable option. After viewing similar posts, it appears that a regionalization reset may be required to be able to continue using genuine HP cartridges. Part of this process seems to require having a full set of Z10 series cartridges available when contacting HP to assist with a regionalization reset. At the present time, my printer has one 951XL Z30 Cyan cartridge that was purchased previously and has been working fine.  I am now at the crossroad of deciding if I continue attempting to work with HP to do a regionalization reset. Will this cause me to have to scrap my existing cartridges and install new Z10 series cartridges? Should I scrap the perfectly fine HP printer and go with another brand, never to return to HP again! To me this complete scenario is totally rediculous, not the fault of the customer and should be addressed promptly by HP. I am at a loss at this time. Any help would be appreciated.  

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hey there! @Fgarrett32,

Effective January 2017, HP 950 and 951 ink cartridges have new markings on the packaging and cartridge label. The cartridges are marked with a Z10, Z20, Z30, or Z40.

The new cartridges are genuine HP products. They provide the same high-quality prints as earlier cartridges. The new cartridges are regionalized, which means your printer only accepts cartridges intended for use in your area.

The new regionalized ink cartridges help protect you from HP ink cartridges sourced through non-official distribution channels, for which HP cannot control transportation and storage conditions. This helps ensure quality and decreases the chances of an ink cartridge being counterfeit.

Refer this article to know more information about using Z ink cartridges. Click Here

Also, if you still have issues after trying out the steps. You need to perform a printer regionalization.

To perform printer regionalization you can contact HP FB support team. Click Here

Hope this answers your query!

I hope you have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.