Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8610
Microsoft Windows XP

Hello,

I am using OfficeJet Pro 8610 as a network printer. Three computers have access to it. Two PCs work fine with printer, one - not. The problem is with computer with Windows XP (the other two are: also a XP and Windows 8).

I installed the drivers and software with CD. OJ8610 is visible, it is under "devices & printers".  When I try to print something I get messege that the page gets sent to printer, but later there is no reaction. There are no jobs in queue.

Could you provide help for this situation?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It seems that my problem is solved. I managed it still before trying your solution.

This is what I did:

1. I uninstalled the drivers and software of the device;

2. Rebooted into Safe Mode;

3. Rebooted again and started Windows normally;

4. Plugged the device to the computer using USB cable.

5. Installed the drivers - NOT by running the HP CD, but using "Add the new printer" wizard in "printers and faxes" under Control Panel (when I was asked for the location of the drivers, I pointed to the HP CD).

6. I printed test page - and it worked.

7. Then I installed the device as a network printer using HP CD.

8. I succesfully printed test page using my device as a network printer.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @Karol22,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand that your HP Officejet Pro 8610 will not print from Windows XP and Windows 8. I am happy to look into this for you! 

How is the printer connected? Wireless, or Ethernet? 

Are you able to print a test page? Video: Printing a Test page.

For the Windows 8 computer, please try the steps within this guide, 'Offline' Printer Status Message Displays (Windows 😎. For the Windows XP computer, please try our HP Print and Scan Doctor and let me know what happens!

Hope to hear from you soon! :generic:

“Please click the Thumbs up icon below to thank me for responding.”

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

Maybe I did not write it precisely enough.

In the network there are three computers. Two XPs and and one Windows 8. There are no issues with one of the XPs and Windows 8. I encounter problems only with one XP.

The printer is connected to the network via Ethernet cable. However, I tried to connect to the PC with issues via USB, but also in this case I was not able to print.

I am not able to print anything (including test page) from that computer.

I am able to print test page from hardware level as you have shown in the video.

HP Print and Scan Doctor at first did not find any issues, but then was not able to print a test page.

Edit: Print & Scan doctor suggested (after failing with test page and succesfully printing hardware test page) reinstalling the software/drivers. I did it but with no result.

HP Recommended

Hi @Karol22,

Thank you for explaining the issue in more detail, I appreciate it! 

Let's try the following steps within this order:  

Hope this is helpful! :generic:

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help @RnRMusicMan, I will perform these steps.

I only want to make sure:

Everything since point 2 "Clean boot the computer." until "reinstalling the HP Full Feature Software and Drivers"  is to be made in clean boot state, isn't it?

Also, after creating new user account, should I LOG IN as a new user and then REINSTALL software & drivers? You did not mention it, but maybe it was too obvious :).

HP Recommended

Hi Karol22,

Thank you for double-checking with me. Everything since point 2 "Clean boot the computer." until "reinstalling the HP Full Feature Software and Drivers"  is to be made in clean boot state, you are correct about this. And, after creating the new user account, you will want to log in using that new user to do the reinstall.

Hope this clears things up for you! :generic:

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

It seems that my problem is solved. I managed it still before trying your solution.

This is what I did:

1. I uninstalled the drivers and software of the device;

2. Rebooted into Safe Mode;

3. Rebooted again and started Windows normally;

4. Plugged the device to the computer using USB cable.

5. Installed the drivers - NOT by running the HP CD, but using "Add the new printer" wizard in "printers and faxes" under Control Panel (when I was asked for the location of the drivers, I pointed to the HP CD).

6. I printed test page - and it worked.

7. Then I installed the device as a network printer using HP CD.

8. I succesfully printed test page using my device as a network printer.

HP Recommended

I followed Karol22's suggestion to get connected to the printer by USB first before trying to establish a Wifi connection.  It was by doing that I discovered that the inability to print had nothing to do with the "wireless" connection because the printer would not even print with the USB connection!

I thought I had a faulty new printer.  However working through with HP Tech support it became clear the order of steps to install the printer driver is critical to get a correct installation of the printer driver.

After I went through the process and got the printer to work over Wifi it was clear that the install process needs to get the USB connection first and when that's complete then to convert the USB connection to the wireless connection.

To get the correct USB connection it is important not to connect the printer to the computer until the installer requests one to plug in the USB cable.  If one runs the installer with the printer connected to the computer apparently a generic Windows driver is installed and that does not operate the printer!  You can see the difference in how the installer behaves as well.  When done the correct way and when one clicks the USB button as the type of connection a significant and moderately lengthy process runs pulling data from the installation CD.  If done incorrectly that processs does not happen!

When the printer driver is installed correctly, clicking on the HP 8610 icon in the Devices and Printers window brings up a designation "Printer; Scanner".  If not installed correctly one gets two icons one for the printer (which doesnt' work) and the other for the scanner (which works).

After the printer is installed correctly as an USB printer one then runs the black HP Officejet Pro 8610 icon to run a process to convert the printer to a wireless Wifi printer.  Use the "Utilities" menu.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with Windows 10 running on my HP Pavillion laptop. This is not a Windows 10 upgrade. I bought the laptop new with Windows 10 already installed.

Printer worked perfectly until a week ago, I first noticed a problem with Word 2007. I would have to restart Word in order to print a document.

Two days ago the printer stopped working altogether from my laptop. My wife has the very same HP laptop and she can print with no problems.

I followed the instructions at the top of this thread, and still nothing ever makes it to the print queue.

Safe mode boot

Regular boot

Connect USB cable

Use windows device manager to add printer. Did not use the CD.

Windows installed the printer

Opened Word 2007 and tried to print a document.

Got the print dialog box.

Clicked Print

Print job did not print

Checked the Print Queue and found it was empty.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.