Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8625
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

After the original ink cartridges ran out on my OfficeJet Pro 8625 I purchased 3rd party cartridges and they worked just fine. Now one of those 3rd party cartridges have run out, so I purchased more of the same (exact same) 3rd party cartridges. When I put the new cartridge into the printhead the printer gave me the error "One or more cartridges appear to be damaged. Remove them and replace with new cartridges."

I tried all the troubleshooting advice I could find online - unplug printer, remove and re-insert cartridges, clean contacts on cartridge & printhead, update firmware...I even tried to downgrade my firmware to get around the error, but was unsuccessful. I'm sure there are some other suggested solutions I tried that I can't recall right now. Then I exchanged the new cartridges for another new set. Same problem. The 3rd party manufacturer sent me another new set. Same problem.

I called HP and they were zero help. They tried suggesting solutions (ones I had already tried) until they heard that I was using 3rd party cartridges, then all of my problems were attributed to that. They said I could either buy a new printer or buy genuine HP ink cartridges.

I contacted the 3rd party ink cartridge manufacturer and they said they had not heard of any recent issues with their cartridges working in my model of printer. In the past there were issues, but they produced a new chip on their new cartridges that was supposed to take care of that and they said they haven't had issues since.

So I broke down and bought some genuine HP cartridges. Same error. I've cleaned the contacts on the cartridges, inside the printhead where the cartridges touch, the contacts on the back of the printhead and the contacts where the printhead connects inside the printer. None of the contacts are missing or bent. Why is my printer still giving me the same error now that I have genuine HP cartridges installed? My printer is multiple years old so I know it's out of warranty. Despite being multiple years old it's in perfect shape and was working just fine until I replaced that one ink cartridge. Now I have 3 sets of new ink cartridges and a printer that doesn't work.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Hoosh

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.