Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8715
macOS 10.15 Catalina

My printer. HP OfficeJet Pro 8715 All-in-One stopped printing and making copies. I don’t know if it is connected, but my wife and I were both trying to print to it at the same time when it stopped working. I can still do scans to a thumb drive. I can still print test pages when using the printer itself to send the test page. But I can’t send a test page from my computer. When I send a print from my computer the printer kicks on like it’s about to print, but the display just spins saying “printing”. It never goes through. I’ve tried unplugging and turning back on. I also tried resetting the printer to manufacturer settings. I’ve uninstalled the printer from my computer and reinstalled the drivers again. I’ve also made sure the printer has all the up to date software.  It does the same thing when I try to make a copy. It kicks on like it will start to copy, but it never pulls the paper in the feeder and the screen just spins saying “copying”. My Mac is running OS X 10.15.4. My PC is running Windows 10 version 1909. Thank you for any suggestions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I downgraded my printer firmware to version 1848A and that solved my problem.  A newer firmware update was causing my printer to reject the ink cartridges I was using. I'm not sure why it kicked in all of a sudden, but that solved my problem.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @Neil334

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the printing/ copying issue. 

Please try these steps -

1) Take out the cartridges.

2) Unplug the power cord from the printer & wall.

3) Wait for 30 seconds. 

4) Plug the power cord back into the printer and wall, ensure the printer is plugged into the wall & not to a surge protector.

5) Insert the cartridges back into the printer.

Update the printer's firmware - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

Try cleaning the paper pick rollers. Refer to this document for steps. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Unfortunately this didn't solve my issue.  I tried purchasing new ink, but my printer currently says the cartridge is not installed correctly. I have tried installing it several times. I am going to try and get a new cartridge and see if that helps.

HP Recommended

@Neil334

Appreciate you trying the steps. I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding this. 

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I downgraded my printer firmware to version 1848A and that solved my problem.  A newer firmware update was causing my printer to reject the ink cartridges I was using. I'm not sure why it kicked in all of a sudden, but that solved my problem.

HP Recommended

How did you downgrade to firmware to version 1848A?

HP Recommended

I got my ink from Cartridge World and I asked them if they had any suggestions. They gave me a printout with directions for how to downgrade the firmware.  I went to https://ufile.io/tdl8zf8g and then selected the free download button. Then I selected the HP 8715 downgrade to 1848A file and ran the program to download the old firmware. I was a little nervous because the website was a bit sketchy looking. But my printer was basically a giant brick so i figured it was worth a shot. It solved my problem. Hope it helps you.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Thanks Neil334. I ended up ordering new HP cartridges since my Members Mark from Sam's (only ones available at the time) didn't end up working. And just got the color ones and it works again. I won't get third party again. 

I would have tried your trick if I had to but I don't like sketchy websites. Always worried I might get a virus. from them...

Thanks and have a good weekend!

Jminkaty!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.