Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8720

Hi there. I have the same problem: I changed the in cartridge to HP 8720 using a new HP Cartridge purchased at Office Depot. The error message continues to report "Cartridge depleted." 

I went through the steps recommended on this page, but I still receive the same message.

I have tried taking the cartridge out and replacing it with the old catridge.

I have tried replacing the new cartridge which sounds full of ink.

I have tried unplugging from the wall - no power strip.

I have tried turning the machine on and off.

Are there other options?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@SPHospitality

Thanks for posting. It is a terrific place to find answers and tips! 

I understand that you are getting cartridge depleted error and you have tried few troubleshooting steps, I will be delighted to assist you here.

However, I will need a few details to provide an accurate solution,

• Did you clean the electrical contacts on the cartridge?

If not, follow the below steps:

1. Find a clean, lint-free cloth (eyeglass wipes or coffee filters work well) that you can use to clean the ink cartridge contacts.

2. Make sure the printer is turned on.

3. Open the ink cartridge access door.

The carriage moves to the center of the printer.

4. Push in on the front of the problem ink cartridge to release it, and then pull the ink cartridge toward you to remove it from its slot.

Image: Remove the ink cartridge from its slot.

5. With a clean, lint-free cloth (eyeglass wipes or coffee filters work well), wipe the copper-colored contact on the ink cartridge.

Image: Copper-colored contact on the ink cartridge.

6. Carefully reinsert the ink cartridge into its slot, making sure the letter on the ink cartridge matches the letter on the slot.

Image: Insert the ink cartridge into its color-coded slot.

7. Push the ink cartridge forward until it clicks into place.

8. Repeat these steps for the other ink cartridges, if necessary.

9. Close the ink cartridge access door.

10. Check the control panel for any error messages.

11. If the error message persists, repeat the previous steps to clean the ink cartridge contacts.

Reset the printer agian

1. Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

4. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

5. Wait at least 60 seconds.

6. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

NOTE:

HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

7. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

8. Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

9. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Update the printer firmware

Refer this HP document for the steps to update the printer firmware: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02919168

You can refer this HP document for more steps:- https://support.hp.com/in-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-8720-all-in-one-printer-series/7902032/documen...

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have a OfficeJet Pro 8720 and am trying to change the black(k) cartridge. I am changing from one after market cartridge to another from the same vendor. I get a message "Remove and reinstall the indicated cartridge, making sure it is correctly installed."

I have taken it out numerous times and reinstalled it,( very simple), i have gone to Cartridge world(where my current one is from) and gotten a different cartridge, but i still get that message. My old cartridge will work, but not the new ones.  Any suggestions?  Thanks

HP Recommended

yes, I have done all the trouble shooting steps, including changing the cartridge with new one twice. When you install a new one it says authentic HP  cartridge installed and shows cyan full on the screen. When you try to print, it will again say change cartridge with full HP cartridge.

HP Recommended

@waynec68

Welcome to HP support community.

If you have done all the steps mentioned in this HP document:- Click here

And if the issue still persists, this could be a hardware issue.

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.