Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8720
macOS 10.12 Sierra

Printer supply level shows empty and printer won't work, despite all new cartridges being added. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@AKC3, Welcome to the HP support community!

This could be an issue with the Ink cartridge or the printhead in the printer, let's try the below steps to resolve the same:

Step 1:  Reset the printer

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

2. Wait at least 60 seconds.

3. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

4. Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

5. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Step 2: Clean the ink cartridge contacts

1. Open the ink cartridge access door.

2. Wait until the carriage stops moving before you continue.

3. Remove an ink cartridge, clean the copper-colored contact, and then insert the ink cartridge into its slot.

Animation of removing, cleaning, and reinserting an ink cartridge

4. Make sure no ink cartridge is sticking out farther than the other ink cartridges.

5. Make sure the protective orange plastic tapes are removed before inserting the ink cartridge in the printer

6. Close the ink cartridge access door

Try to print. If the issue persists, continue to the next step.

Step 3: Update the printer firmware by clicking here via USB cable through a computer or you can do it from the printer display by following below steps:

NOTE: The HP printer must be connected to a wired (Ethernet) or wireless network with an active Internet connection to receive updates.

1. From the home screen on the printer control panel, touch the HP ePrint icon .

2. Wait for the printer to connect to the HP ePrint server.

When the printer connects to the server, the HP ePrint status displays.

3. Touch Settings on the bottom left corner of the screen.

4. Touch Printer Update, and then touch Check for Update Now.

Let me know if this works.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This did not work for me, and now my 18 month old printer does not work. 

I was offered a "deal" on a new printer - that is the same price I can buy from best buy.

HP Recommended

@riometz

Welcome to HP support community.

This seems to be a hardware issue.

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.