mpmcnier
6 5 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP OfficeJet Pro 8725 keeps losing wifi connection

HP OfficeJet Pro 8725
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

My HP OfficeJet Pro 8725 keeps losing its wifi connection.  The printer is only connected via wifi.  It does not matter which device I try to print from (macOS, Windows, iOS).  I've already assigned a static manual IP outside the range of the DHCP but that did not help.  I've already updated to the latest firmware WMP1CN1828AR but that did not help.  If I check the EWS page via a browser and get an error, I click the blue wifi light (which is on and steady) then click settings, and toggle wifi off and back on, then it can print for another 1 or 2 times, then it loses the connection again and I have to repeat the process.  This printer does not allow you to turn off "sleep mode" only set it to 5, 10 or 15 minutes (I selected 15 minutes).  Sometimes I get a nastygram from HP Instant Ink that my printer is not online and I have to toggle wifi off and back on so they can connect.  I usually print from the mac (mac0S 10.13 High Sierra) which is connected to the router via ethernet or sometimes from an iPad.

10 REPLIES 10
Level 14
11,466 11,461 773 1,427
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Does the 8725 have the latest firmware, 1834A?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer.
0 Kudos
mpmcnier
6 5 0 0
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, the HP OfficeJet Pro 8725 printer has the latest firmware installed, version = WMP1CN1828AR, date = 2018-07-13, automatic updates are turned on, I manually checked for update both on the Embedded Web Server and via the printer control panel, both say that the latest firmware available is installed.

0 Kudos
Level 14
11,466 11,461 773 1,427
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Have you tried using the ethernet port on the printer?

What router do you have?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a volunteer.
0 Kudos
mpmcnier
6 5 0 0
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No I have not tried that.  I read that if you plug in the ethernet port it locks out all wifi functionality.  Which made me think that I would not be able to print from iPads and iPhones.  My Router is an xfinity arris TG1682G.  I guess I could just try it and see.  I have no idea what config I would have to do in the router to share the printer on wifi.  It seems like it defeats the purpose of buying a wifi printer, but if it works I might leave it that way.  This would probably invalidate my HP Instant Ink subscription.

0 Kudos
Level 14
11,466 11,461 773 1,427
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The main problem is the arris router which does not play nice with HP printers.

If the ethernet option works you will still be able to use all your WiFi devices along with instant ink.

I am a volunteer.
0 Kudos
mpmcnier
6 5 0 0
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So I tried connecting the printer via ethernet to the router and was encouraged at first because it worked for a while.  But then later on it started having the same problem as wifi, it would lose the connection to the printer. So now I'm connected via ethernet, but have the same problem as before and have to turn the printer off and back on then it works again for 1 or 2 prints then loses the connection again.

0 Kudos
Level 14
11,466 11,461 773 1,427
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My last suggestion is to try a static IP on the 8725, make sure it is not in the Arris DHCP range.

If this does not work contact HP support.

I am a volunteer.
0 Kudos
mpmcnier
6 5 0 0
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've already assigned a static IP outside the DHCP range.  That did not help.  I've gone back to wireless since toggling WiFi off/on is easier than turning the printer completely off/on (which I had to do when connected via ethernet). The problem still persists.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1Tark
1 1 0 0
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same problem with an ATT Uverse router/wifi.  Ready to junk this printer for something more reliable!

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation