Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8620
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Windows OS Can detect and successfully print to my printer but the HP software cannot detect it.  It used to work.

I have tried:

+Uninstall software, reboot etc...

+HP support troubleshooter

+Disable firewall and reinstall

+Manually try to add files to be allowed through firewall

+IOBIT as described here:  https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Software-and-Drivers/Officejet-Pro-8620-Connectivity-Issue/td-...

For info:

+The printer works with the windows installed printer driver.

+You can get to and use the scanner via the web service on the printer

All I want to achieve now is to:

+Use the HP scan software

+Use Scan to computer on the printer

Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Simon6385367543, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Run HP Print and Scan Doctor to diagnose and fix any driver issue

Click here to download the file. Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and click on 'Fix printing' and 'Fix scanning' as required.

If the issue persists, proceed to the next step.

Use HP Scan Extended to scan from your PC

Click here to download the application.

Once it's downloaded and installed, go to Start > All Programs > HP > HP Scan Extended > Run "HP Scan Extended"

Watch this video to know how to enable 'Scan to Computer' on your PC.

Note: This video is not from HP and is from a third party channel on YouTube.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply.   

I ran the "Run HP Print and Scan Doctor" (printer option) and successfully printed a test page.

I ran the "Run HP Print and Scan Doctor" (Scan option) and it successfully communicated with the scanner and passed all checks but then said "HP ... was not found"  

I then tried using "HP Scan Extended" and it failed with "cannot find printer"

I then ran the device setup again and this time it found the printer which has solved the problem.

So not sure this is what you intended but it worked?

Simon

HP Recommended

@Simon6385367543

As you are able to print and scan now, the issue seems to be resolved. However, you may use the printer for couple of days and then let me know if the issue is resolved completely.

Keep me posted.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.