Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 3830
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP Officejet 3830.  I have multiple PC's.  

I have 2 issues. - Trying to solve my 2 issues now has me in a double issue.

1) When trying to connect to the printer from my multiple PC's when using the 'Wireless' mode, only one PC seems to be allowed to communicate to it.  None of the others can connect.  The one that is connected works great.

Because of the above problem, I have the others connected via Wi-Fi Direct

2) When connecting to the Wi-Fi Direct - I can not print in color.  When you go to printing preferences, under Paper/Quality, the Color or Greyscale section is not available.

In trying to solve this issue - the PC that was working fine using Wireless - lost the Color / Greyscale option.

I have removed all drivers and the device and reinstalled to no avail.

It seems many people are having this issue.  However the one point I have not seen is that I think this issue is tied to the Wi-Fi Direct. 

Please Help!

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@DJHarris71, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Let us try using different drivers and see if that helps-

Update the printer firmware

Download available firmware updates from the HP website

With the printer on and connected to the computer, go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, and then identify your printer. Look for and install any available firmware updates. For more information, go to Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware.

I would suggest you try the Windows built-in drivers. Follow the steps below:

•    Go to Control Panel - Devices and printers - Click on "Add printer" and follow the on-screen instructions.

•    When the page prompts for the drivers, select "Windows update". The driver list will be updated.

•    Click HP, Hewlett Packard, or Hewlett-Packard in the Manufacturer pane, and then click the name of your printer in the Printers pane.

Refer to this document HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver for help.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

This basically puts me back to where I was when I started.

Problem 1)  When using wireless, only 1 PC can connect, none of the others can.  The color option is available.

Problem 2)  On the PC's that can not connect via wireless I am using Wi-Fi Direct.  The color option is NOT available.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the printer drivers as you state.

I have confirmed the printer is using the latest firmware.

There is an issue here.  It needs to be corrected on HP/Microsoft's side.  This can be confirmed by the many many posts regarding this issue.  

It is a poor customer experience to need to go through all this uninstall and reinstall the proper driver.  It should just work.

Please explain why multiple PC's can not connect to the printer via wireless - is this by design or is this a bug?

Please explain why Wi-Fi Direct can not print color - is this by design or is this a bug?

The one thing I will say is you have a great team building your 'buy our ink' software as this annoyingly keeps getting slammed in my face as I go through this process, but the team making this driver is lacking.  PLEASE FIX THIS!

HP Recommended

@DJHarris71

I understand your concern. Let us try to add the printer using the IP address. Here is how you do it-

1. Select “Start” and type “printers” in the search box. 

2. Choose “Printers & scanners“. 

3. Select “Add a printer or scanner“. 

4. Wait for the “The printer that I want isn’t listed” option to appear, then select it. 

5. Select “Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname” , then select “Next“. 

6. Select “TCP/IP Device” in the “Device type” list. 

7. Type the hostname or the IP address of the printer. Select “Next“. To find the IP address of the printer, touch the Wi-Fi icon on the printer's control panel.  

8. Windows should find the printer if the printer is on and configured correctly. You may have to specify more information. If prompted, Select the type of network adapter installed in the printer in the “Device Type” drop-down list. You can also click “Custom” to specify custom settings for the network printer. Select “Next“.

Try printing.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

PC1 - connected as before (did not need to take these steps)

PC2 - Still can not connect - I need to follow your last step - however, I need more information. What is the proper selection?

"Select the type of network adapter installed in the printer in the “Device Type” drop-down list. You can also click “Custom” to specify custom settings for the network printer"

noprinter.PNG

HP Recommended

I got this to work but not in the manner you stated (although it lead me to this path).

1) I (again) uninstalled everything

a) remove device in Printers and scanners

b) removed drivers in printui.exe /s

c) removed the HP drivers under 'Add Remove Programs'

2) Hardwired the printer to the USB

3) Add the printer via the 'Add Printer' button.  This work with no problems, and the 'Color' option was available.

4) I then disconnected the hard line USB

5) went into 'Control Panel' -> 'Devices and Printers'

6) right Clicked on the 'HP OfficeJet 3830 series' printer and Selected 'Printer Properties'

7) Selected the 'Ports' tab.

😎Selected the 'Add Port...' button, and add a 'Standard TCP/IP Port and used the IP Address on the printer. In my case this is. 198.168.1.112.

9) once this was configured, I was able to select (Check) this port as the port to use when using this printer.

printerport.png

My printer is working on both PC's via the network (and with color) - For now. 

This closes the first issue.

However, This no leaves the second issue open - Why does Wi-Fi Direct not enable Color????

HP Recommended

@DJHarris71

Thanks for replying! Check the printer settings on EWS before you print. 

The HP Embedded Web Server (EWS) is a web-based printer homepage for managing settings, getting updates, and performing maintenance tasks. You can access the homepage when connected to the printer with Wi-Fi Direct.

1. Connect your computer or mobile device to the printer with Wi-Fi Direct.

2. In an Internet browser address bar, type 192.168.223.1, and then press the Enter key or click or tap the Search icon.

Wi-Fi Direct IP address entered into the Chrome address bar

3. If a website security certificate displays, click Continue to open the EWS.

HP Embedded Web Server for the OfficeJet 250 printer

If the issue persists, share the screenshot of the screen where you are trying to print from. This would help us isolate the issue.

Keep me posted.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes, I can get to the EWS.  But how does this help me?

I do not see a setting that enables color printing on Wi-Fi Direct.

HP Recommended

@DJHarris71

This requires remote assistance. I would recommend you reach out to the HP Support in your region for help.

Keep me posted.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.