Level 1
7 4 1 1
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Officejet 3830 will not print black despite full cartridge

HP Office jet 3830
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Here's how I rescued a stubborn blk ink cartr.

New printer but little or no use for 6 months, HP Officejet 3830 barely printed anythig. Cartridge cleaning routine brought color back, but despite all maint. recommendations for cleaning and reseating black cartridge there was no trace of black ink on "check print quality" printouts. INK level registered 80%, "ok". 

In desperation I used a piece of folded clean & dry tissue paper on "forbidden" print area of cart. I could see a trace of ink redsidue on it and carefully polished it clean. I reran "print quality" printout and finally there appeared small traces of black ink.  I quit for the night and low and behold all printing was fine when I tested it next day.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,360 12,338 1,165 2,417
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @jimichrome,

Good Day!! Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums! I understand that you managed to resolve the problem with the printer. Brilliant effort and superb troubleshooting on your part to do this. Kudos to you for a job superbly done.)

It was also magnanimous on your part to share this information on HP forums that will assist several others to fix the issue by doing a hard reset. I thank you greatly for sharing this vital piece of information.

You are a valued HP customer. I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Pr1vatefunk
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi there, just recently I’ve been unable to print in black on my HP OfficeJet3830, is a common problem and can it be fixed?....... please advise thank you.

regards

J

0 Kudos
19,779 15,114 308 1,174
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation