Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 4635 e-All-in-One Printer
Chrome OS

My 4635  printer says my color cartridge is low and should be replaced.  I replaced it with a new HP 61XL. same as before.  Now the printer says "Ink Cartridge(s) Problem.  The following Ink Cartridge(s) must be replaced."  And, it shows an oval, representing the new cartridge.  I tried another new one, with the same error message.  It won't allow me to print.  When I put in the old cartridge, I can print, but without color. I used the program to clean the print heads.  That didn't solve the problem.  Any suggestions?  (I don't wish to buy more cartridges, since the two I tried were new from HP.)  Thanks!!

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@blkatz1, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Did both the new ink cartridges come in the same pack?

Let us try these steps to resolve this issue:

Reset the printer

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  2. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  3. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  4. Turn ON the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  5. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Note: HP recommends connecting the printer directly to a wall outlet rather than a surge protector or a power strip.

Update the printer firmware

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Clean the electrical contacts on the ink cartridge

Refer to the solution three mentioned in this document.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks, Kumar.  I've tried everything suggested in the HP Customer Support-Knowledge Base you sent me regarding my 4635 printer.  I cleaned everything with distilled water, unplugged and plugged back in the printer, etc.  Unfortunately, nothing worked, since I'm getting the same message that the new cartridges I inserted must be replaced.  It shows an oval underneath, which means the color cartridge.  I'm using HP 61XL cartridges, purchased directly from HP.  The empty cartridge I'm trying to replace doesn't show this error message (but it only prints in yellow; that's why it needs to be replaced. )   The black cartridge works fine. Am I looking to have to buy a new printer if I want color?

HP Recommended

@Swimmerkat, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

It seems like an issue with the color ink cartridge. Please contact our HP Support team for Service Options:

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Select the appropriate option based on your preference.

6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I've tried everything.  Repairs would cost more than a new printer.  Plus, new cartridges, which probably won't work, cost more than a new printer.   Time to shop, I guess!

HP Recommended

@Swimmerkat

I understand. As this is a hardware issue HP Support team will be able to assist you better.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

First of all, it's out of warranty.  And, second of all, I can't find anything but community support.  I need a direct link to HP official support.  Lastly, why can't you communicate directly and not through my having to jump through so many hoops to even respond to your?  You make it difficult, especially for an older person such as myself. 

And, aren't you in HP Support?  It says so in your responses.  It would be nice if you could forward this to someone who could help more, possibly, rather than me beating my head against the wall and searching all over your website for other than FAQs and otherpre-packaged responses that don't help.  I bet you can sense my frustration!

And, aren't you HP support, anyway?  Says so in your bresponsrd!

HP Recommended

The last word above was response.  

HP Recommended

@Swimmerkat

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Note:As mentioned in my previous post, you may refer to this document to troubleshoot issues regarding Ink Cartridge Errors.

Click here to reach HP Support page.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.