Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 4655
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Officejet 4655 has recently stopped duplex printing. When I navigate to the printer properties, the duplexer shows "not installed". Letting it auto update sets the duplexer to "Installed". Viewing the printing preferences from the general tab will still show "print on both sides manually", and If I exit the printer properties and reopen them it will show the duplexer in "not installed" status. It does not appear that it will revert unless or until I open the printing preferences.

The printer was most definitely duplexing properly at one point in the past.

Please advise

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@TheNusbaum

Use HP Print and Scan Doctor to check connectivity

Download a special version of HP Print and Scan Doctor.

1. Download HP Print and Scan Doctor.

2. Run HPPSdr.exe from the download location on your computer.

3. Once HP Print and Scan Doctor opens, click Start, and then select your printer.

• If your printer is not in the list, turn it off and on and then click Retry.

• If there is a connection problem, follow the instructions in HP Print and Scan Doctor.

4. If a screen prompts you to turn on printer updates, click Yes.

5. If a screen prompts you to make your printer the default printer, click Yes.

If the issue persists, Delete the driver at the root level and Install the drivers, follow the steps below:

Remove the USB if connected

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

2.) Select your HP Printer 

3.) Select Uninstall 

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose `Delete' or `Remove Device' 

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo. 

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between "printui.exe" and "/s") 

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab 

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers 

Then, Click on this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-officejet-4650-all-in-one-printer-seri... to download and install the Full Feature Software and Drivers.

Try to print.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thank you for joining the HP Community.

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Nope, no joy. @raj1788. I was really hoping that steps 7 - 12 would help, but the problem persists.

update the printer properties, duplexer shows installed.
navigate to printer preferences, only manual duplex is allowed.
navigate back to printer properties, duplexer shows as not installed.

tomorrow I will try with a wired connection, though I have printed hundreds of pages over wireless, with duplex working fine before this issue popped up.

HP Recommended

Interesting. if I print from HP Smart (and only from HP Smart, not the Windows Dialogue) duplex works fine. This will do fine for now, bit it is NOT an acceptable solution. If HP Instant ink weren't so awesome, this would be worth trashing the printer for a Canon or Epson at this point.

HP Recommended

@TheNusbaum

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number 

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Posting the solution here if anyone else has this issue.

remove the printer and re-add it via IP rather than letting Windows detect it on the network. HP Support solved it for me via a remote session.

Super happy.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.